TX Pool Repair Post Freeze - what a MESS

onedah

Aug 23, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Hi all,

I could do with some advice on repairs for my pool post the Dallas Texas weather. I am trying to purchase what I need to before supplies start to disappear and price hikes.

My pool system is above ground with no spa or heater. I've uploaded some pictures with the main pool system I have marked what I visibly see as cracked / damaged with a red mark. The Pool it self is still frozen with a layer of 3-4" of ice, I put some empty gallon bottles in the drain and looks like that helped any cracking in the drain. No idea about the pool it self or any underground piping.

Any suggestions on improvements to plumbing or replacement equipment would be really helpful.

Pool equipment list and damage:
  • Pool Pump and Trap Assembly (Pentair Challenger CHII) I replaced the pump 2 years back but not sure if it also needs replacing or I just do the trap assembly
    • Pentair Challenger trap, front housing - Replace
    • Century B2854 1-1/2 HP, 3450 RPM - No Visible Damage
  • Purex Triton Nautilus FNS 48 - No Visible Damage - if I was to replace any suggestion on an alternative
  • Polaris Booster Pump Motor (ASB625) - No Visible Damage
  • 2 x 3 way Valve - Replace (any suggestions on replacement model?)
  • 4 x 2 way Valve - Replace (any suggestions on replacement model?)
  • In-Line Chlorinator - Damage towards the bottom of the pipe - not sure if I can replace that part only
  • Multiple unions, elbows, pipe etc
Thanks
Red indicates damage
1613691353145.jpeg

1613691384525.jpeg

1613691412642.jpeg

Cracked Valve

1613691452862.jpeg

1613691505777.jpeg

1613691488965.jpeg

Should I replace due to age?
1613691474397.jpeg

Sold Ice
1613691577163.jpeg

1613691593382.jpeg

Last edited:
You're just going to have to wait for it to all thaw out and then evaluate. My eyeball on those pics says that the entire equipment pad is likely hosed ... water froze straight away in those pipes and likely cracked or compromised every one of them. It could be necessary to have to dig down into the ground for each of those pipes to see how much you'll need to replace. You're basically looking at a new equipment pad .. pumps, filter and valves. Consider putting a claim into your homeowner's insurance to cover the costs.

In the short term, you should get a tarp and a submersible pump to keep the pool covered and be able to move water around in the pool so you can add liquid chlorine and acid as needed. The pool will likely go green but you can mitigate the swampiness by keeping the pool covered and chlorinated.

It's going to be a long road, so lots of pool-owner-patience, and adult beverages, are needed....

Hey onedah !! Ooof. Looks like most of what could have broke did. Fingers crossed that is all it is. I’m sure you weren’t hoping to have to redo the whole pad plumbing wise, but for the effort and money you are going to spend to repair what you have, start fresh. Get rid of the ball valves that will go bad next year and have you right back to square 1.

The PVC parts are a no brainer. The whole pad won’t be but $100, maybe $150. Multiple valves will drive that up a bit but still nothing crazy. Stick with the never lubes that you have unless you want to switch to pentairs.

The same goes for the pump and chlorinator. Easy fixes that will keep the total cost lower. (I don’t know if only the lower can be replaced on the chlorinator but someone will).

While you are at *all of that*, Now is the time for the MPV as well. Why go through all the trouble just to come back to it like the ball valves. Do it once and be done, it still won’t break the bank.

Thanks folks,

Unfortunately we lost power after we went to bed and work up to the nightmare - I was not prepared for it. Insurance does not cover overground pipes etc.

The PVC is old so will replace as Newdude mentioned, its a few hundred. I am going to replace the chlorinator as well.

Do you have suggestions for:
  • submersible pump
  • MVP
  • should I replace the Pool Pump + trap for the same (replacement is ~$650+) or an alternative?
  • should I replace the DE Filter with same (replacement is ~$1000) or an alternative?
  • Would I be correct in assuming booster pump has no water passing through so should be OK?

One,

Check out some of the other posts here... Seems like we have been declared a disaster area, so you still may get things replaced. ( Seeing posts now that says this is not true..)

Personally, insurance or not, I would replace everything above ground..

I would replace the old DE filter with a new large cartridge filter.. No backwash valve or DE to fool with. I'd dump the 1970's pressure cleaner and booster pump and go with a low voltage Robot. Since you need to rebuild the pad anyway, I'd get rid of the red ball valves and use Jandy style valves.

Just trying to find a silver lining after a pretty dark cloud.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Replace the pool pump with a VS pump.

Replace the filter with a large cartridge filter and you will not need an MPV.

Booster pump may be ok. You will find out when you test it.

I took apart some of the equipment today wanted to share what the Ice did to the Pump.

Looking at the DE filter - it seems ok, if it is I will likely keep it for now however will update to a MPV - any recommendations on a reasonable replacement?

The old ball valves have never been used / moved in the 8 years I've been in the house, are they really worth replacing with Jandy 2 port valves (they are $50+ each) or just remove and replace piping without valves?

I'm probably going to sell the house in the next 2-3 years so that is a consideration when upgrading.

1613789855347.jpeg

1613789890504.jpeg

1613789933527.jpeg

The old ball valves have never been used / moved in the 8 years I've been in the house, are they really worth replacing with Jandy 2 port valves (they are $50+ each) or just remove and replace piping without valves?
Cut them out if you have no need for them and don't want to replace them. My own came off in my hand at closing. I was holding the internal 'ball' of the ball valve before I even realized what happened.

Holy moly.. that is insane.. The cracked basket really demonstrates the power of expanding ice. I would use this as an opportunity to upgrade everything..get rid of the chlorinator and put in a SWG.. get rid of the booster pump and put in a robot, get rid of the DE and go with a cartridge. In the long run you will have a pool that is cheaper to operate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should use the Pentair MPV that matches your FNS filter....

If your equipment is below the waterline then you should have isolation valves on each line. If above the equipment then the valves are optional.

Had a real tuff job getting hold of parts as many online companies are now coming back and cancelling orders. I have most of what I need (if I dont have further orders cancelled).

I am looking to replace pump with a VS pump and keep getting different recommendations. Any suggestion for a replacement for a Pentair Challenger CH 1-1/2 HP 115/230V for my setup? do I need to go to a higher HP?

A variable speed pump is a variable HP pump. As you lower RPM you lower HP. A higher HP pump running at lower HP will use less electricity.

Have you had a chance to inspect the grids inside the filter? I would be surprised if the ice did not crush them.
I did and it appears they all survived, plastic frame is not crushed. They seem fine even though there was ice build up inside the filter.

I was not so lucky with the pool plaster. It has areas the ice damaged and my insurance (Safeco) does not cover any pool equipment etc.

no idea about things that are not visible.

I am a little confused on the best VP pump as there are so many options and price ranges, my apologies for asking same question a few times.

Last edited:
I received the 2 replacement suggestions from Inyopools - does anyone have any experience with them?

Waterway Power Defender 165 Variable Speed Pool Pump 1.65 HP 230V - PD-VSC165
Waterway Power Defender 165 Variable Speed Pool Pump 1.65 HP 230V - PD-VSC165 - INYOPools.com

They also suggested a single speed as a direct replacement for current set up (this is very cheap)
Waterway SMF 1.5 HP Max Rate Pool Pump - SMF-115

Had a real tuff job getting hold of parts as many online companies are now coming back and cancelling orders. I have most of what I need (if I dont have further orders cancelled).

I am looking to replace pump with a VS pump and keep getting different recommendations. Any suggestion for a replacement for a Pentair Challenger CH 1-1/2 HP 115/230V for my setup? do I need to go to a higher HP?
Parts are a challenge.My highest gripe is not so much that pool suppliers are "out of stock" it is that they are "out of stock" for the price they sold it to you at. Bought a valve three weeks ago from Inyo Pools, usually reliable. Mine has still not shipped. A friend bought the exact same valve last week from Inyo for $35 more and his shipped

I received the 2 replacement suggestions from Inyopools - does anyone have any experience with them?

Waterway Power Defender 165 Variable Speed Pool Pump 1.65 HP 230V - PD-VSC165 - INYOPools.com

They also suggested a single speed as a direct replacement for current set up (this is very cheap)
I have the same exact motor on my old 2 speed pump and it is really a great motor... As for the pump side I have no idea but Waterway makes good equipment, most of it is for hot tubs... :)

Just saw this post so probably irrelevant by this point - but I have that Waterway 165 VS pump. I know next to nothing about pool pumps, but I can say mine has run without a hitch since it was installed in 2018.

Reactions: cowboycasey
My local pool store seems to be out of everything. No acid, no liquid chlorine,, luckily they did have lots of DE. I got my multiport valve off ebay for an ok price. Received it in 2 days. DE filter was estimated at 8 days, got in 6 days. 2 inch PCV fittings was a pain. Had to visit 3 different stores to get five 90 degree elbows. Didn't see any 45 deg elbows or couplers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.