kapblam

Jul 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I had another thread going for general questions/reclaiming my pool for the grasps of the pool service overlords, but I have a very specific question that I wanted to create a separate thread on for anyone else who may have a similar suction setup.

So I think my suction cleaner is starting to break (the vacuum squid thing in the pool, not the pool itself). No big deal, have a robot on the way, should be here this coming week to suck up all the leaves/dirt from the storms! One thing that is perplexing me is that I seem to have less suction input pipes to my pump than ports on the pool.

In the picture attached, the black "vacuum" arrow is pointing to the pipe that clearly works the suction cleaner as if I go 100% open that direction, the skimmer stops pulling water. If I do the opposite, only have the red "skimmer" arrow pipe set to open, no more motion in the suction cleaner tube, and lots in the skimmer. That all seems fine and dandy and is making sense. The part that isn't making sense is where does the main pool drain come in? How can I even tell with it being 8.5 ft below the water in the deep end?

Main reason I'm asking is for when I take the suction cleaner out and fully transition to the robot, I want to make sure I turn the suction cleaner line off to not waste the pump cycles sucking on something that isn't installed any more, but I want the main drain to continue to work (assuming it's currently working...?).

Thanks!!

Attachments

• tempImage9ZPeXZ.png
    tempImage9ZPeXZ.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
The main drain is connected into the skimmer.. There should be 2 ports in the bottom.. there should also be a hat looking part that goes into the skimmer so when the skimmer gets to low it only sucks from the main drain.. :)

The main drain is connected into the skimmer.. There should be 2 ports in the bottom.. there should also be a hat looking part that goes into the skimmer so when the skimmer gets to low it only sucks from the main drain.. :)
Thanks - the hat looking part (read a skimmer manual from another post, apparently its a float bypass assembly!) is what thru me as I was wondering why it looked "blocked" down there. Ok - so when I pull the suction cleaner out in favor of the robot, just turn the vac side of the plumbing to off and only pull from skim/main drain 100% or should I still leave a tiny amount of flow open to the vac side on the Jandy so that the water in that pipe doesn't get super funky with time?

That would work perfect.. it can still be used to lower the pool water or connect a manual vacuum if you ever need it :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.