Two drains or one?

Dec 30, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The pool at our house in Cathedral City (Palm Springs adjacent) only has one drain, and the pool inspector said that because it is grandfathered in, we do not have to replace with the dual drains. How big of a safety issue is it to have only one drain? We are planning to replaster the pool in the next year or so and thought that would be the best time to switch to two drains, if it is really necessary. I have not yet gotten pricing for adding another drain, but I have asked for it.

If you replaster, typically you must pull a permit and that will require a VGBA compliant drain to be installed.

You could just abandon the main drain. They are not needed.

They do make retrofit covers.

Reactions: LarsKev
A common problem with automated pool cleaners is having them hang up on bottom drain covers. Our pools bottom drain was blocked during a resurface (prior owner) and its not an issue for us. One advantage of a main drain I understand is as a fail safe if the water level drops below the skimmer. Easy for us to watch water level and evaporation is manageable, there are also auto fill devices.

No children will be allowed in my pool. I'm retired, and I do not have friends with children. I do appreciate the warning, and one of the reasons I will not allow children is safety concern. My pool is 6' deep at one end, and I think that is too deep for children.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.