Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi Everyone,

I've read through many of the threads on this, but for the life of my can't figure out how to do this. My pool has an attached spa with an infinity edge spillover on two sides of the spa, the water line is only about 1" lower, so not a very large drop. That being said I believe my spa is getting too much chlorine vs the pool. My pool is always at a 3-4, and my spa is consistently higher at around 7-9.

My pool was setup to only have two functions. Pool mode - Skimmer, main drain return to the pool and the spa, and Spa mode with 100% spa drain returning to spa jets.

Essentially I want to run pool mode most of the day with spillover 2xdaily to refresh the spa water daily, but keep the levels fairly consistent between the pool and spa. Usually I can smell a scent in the spa (not chloramines) but basically seems like the chlorine levels are higher, could just be coming from the aeration though. Levels have been checked with a standard K-2005 taylor kit. I have a SWG so increasing PH is normal, but I'm wondering if I can reduce PH rise by changing the spillover to minimize aeration all day, as well as reduce chlorine levels in the spa.

I know that in order to enable the spillover function, I have to select the 3rd tab to enable it in the dipswitches. After this step, I'm not sure how to close off the returns to the spa in pool mode. I've ready about "recamming the Jandy valve"? but not really sure what this is. I need help figuring out how to stop return to the spa in pool mode.

Attachments

• IMG_2333.JPG
    IMG_2333.JPG
    725.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2334.JPG
    IMG_2334.JPG
    773.2 KB · Views: 17
Looks like you have a spa makeup. After you activate spillover in your iAquaLink you should be able to close the blue ball valve (near the filter, ground level prior to check valve) to disable the constant spillover. Looks like your return actuator is already fully closed so no need to cam.

You can test this by closing the ball valve now, spillover should stopIMG_2333~2.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagunas2k
Looks like you have a spa makeup. After you activate spillover in your iAquaLink you should be able to close the blue ball valve (near the filter, ground level prior to check valve) to disable the constant spillover. Looks like your return actuator is already fully closed so no need to cam.

You can test this by closing the ball valve now, spillover should stopView attachment 499308
Thank you! That was exactly it.

Now given the aeration is actually probably minimal given it’s not spilling over very much, is there any merit to simply closing that valve about 75% so the spa return is minimal and having it circulate all day vs. running 100% to the pool and activating spillover twice a day?

Thank you! That was exactly it.

Now given the aeration is actually probably minimal given it’s not spilling over very much, is there any merit to simply closing that valve about 75% so the spa return is minimal and having it circulate all day vs. running 100% to the pool and activating spillover twice a day?
I keep the makeup line closed and run spillover 2x per day for ~30 min each. In my case I wanted to avoid a low speed spillover which would potentially make calcium deposits easier to form on the spillway

Reactions: Poolbreh
I never test the FC in my spa. I run the spillover twice a day at 9 am and 2pm. If the FC in my pool is good then the FC in the spa will be good.

@Lagunas2k what is your CYA?

FC of 4 versus 9 is well within the range for your likely CYA. For the spa you probably want the starting FC higher for the heat Of the spa and the way people soak in it.

As to why the FC is higher in the spa my WAG is there is different FC consumption due to the different shape and surface are of the spa.

Seems like you have the mechanics of enabling your spillover under control.

CYA is around 55. I need to bring it up a little.

I think I'll just a few different methods and check along the way. I've now been able to figure out how to control the spa makeup line. I've shut that return about half closed, and will test both the spa and the pool over the next week or so. My spillover is an infinity edge tile on two sides with about a 1" "drop" so I don't think there is a ton of aeration happening.

I plan to test both methods of having the spillover on all the time, just at a minimal level and then test with the spillover mode initiated.

Thanks for all of the help so far. Next step is to start labeling all of the inlets and outlets.

Reactions: Ahultin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.