Trying to Help Aunt Open Pool

May 7, 2018
FL
I’ve had such a great experience using TFP getting my swamp clear that my aunt decided to jump on the wagon. The first thing she did was order a good kit. She isn’t very internet savvy so that’s why I’m posting.

A few notes on her pool: 24,000 gal inground vinyl with a de filter. She lives in Ohio.

She was having trouble getting her cya. After running the test twice I walked her through the dilution method of testing and she got 120.

She is now now trying to figure out how to drain the pool. Her regular pool guy wants her to just add 50 lbs of granules and pay no attention to cya. Last year she spent $500 on granules! I of course pointed out that is why her cya is so high.

Until she can drain ( earliest is next week) what can she do to try to fight her swamp? I know draining is the best option, but are there other ways? Can she get a clear pool with a cya that high? I know she is looking at a 40 ppm FC for a SLAM.

Thanks for your help!

48 ppm FC for a SLAM. That's 12 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine to start. That's her option if she wants to start the SLAM before lowering the CYA level. If she has a Rural King in driving distance they have liquid chlorine for $9 per 4 gallon case.

Though with her draining over half of her water soon I wouldn't bother spending money on clearing water that is literally going to be flushed down the drain.

If she has a main drain and if water isn’t crazy expensive. I would use the pump to drain to waste. Remove water until it’s a foot above shallow end. Refilling it will dilute that cya and dilute the algae. Then test cya and start slamming. I’ve done swamps to clear in 4 days doing this method.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.