How do I convince my wife this is the right path

sedouglas72

Gold Supporter
Dec 5, 2022
Farmersville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
We had our pool finished in November. The builder sold her on the system we have (3" tabs and the Zodiac Duoclear mineral cartridge) telling us that we can keep the FC at around .5ppm safely. We are now 8 months in and CYA is at 116 (according to pool store since I can't test that high) my Taylor kit definitely shows over 100. I want to do a partial drain to get the CYA in line and then start with liquid bleach to make sure it doesn't get out of control again, but she doesn't want to have strong smell of chlorine with the pool. She freaks out anytime I bring up chlorine, with her wanting less in the pool. If I get the CYA in line (around 40) it says 5-7 is target. How much chlorine smell do you all get with that, will it be noticeably different to her? We have yet to have any algae at all, even with low levels, but I don't want to be draining every 8 months to keep in line. I understand the benefits of proper levels and how they all work together, but I don't know how to get her on the same page. Please help.

I have three saltwater pools in the DFW area. No one can tell that there is any chlorine in the water.. I've had people tell me it must be nice not having to use chlorine, when in actuality there is more chlorine in my pools than in most.

I would tell her you agree with her, no more chlorine... Then tell her you want to upgrade to a saltwater pool, so that there is no more chlorine smell.. Just don't tell her that a saltwater pool is a chlorine pool, and she will never be able to tell.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I had 25 people swimming in 20 FC a couple weeks ago and nobody but me knew.

We can teach you how to do it right. :)

Reactions: Hootz

I have three saltwater pools in the DFW area. No one can tell that there is any chlorine in the water.. I've had people tell me it must be nice not having to use chlorine, when in actuality there is more chlorine in my pools than in most.

I would tell her you agree with her, no more chlorine... Then tell her you want to upgrade to a saltwater pool, so that there is no more chlorine smell.. Just don't tell her that a saltwater pool is a chlorine pool, and she will never be able to tell.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
I had originally told my pool company that I wanted salt water, but he said it was "hard on the equipment." So I went with his recommendation.

I have people tell me after a SWCG conversion that they can't believe the no smell and just dry off and go on with their day. As a matter of fact a chlorine pool as you may call it which is essentially the same as a salt pool as far as the chlorine content doesn't smell either when it's well balanced. When you do smell it you know it found organics to feed on and it's doing the job of chlorine.

I had originally told my pool company that I wanted salt water, but he said it was "hard on the equipment."

A total load of Bull Feathers... :mrgreen:

Just think about it for a minute.. Why would Pentair sell something that would damage their own equipment. :scratch: It makes absolutely no sense at all!!!

Tell me... Where do you buy the mineral cartridge's for your pool now??

Thanks,

Jim R.

I had originally told my pool company that I wanted salt water, but he said it was "hard on the equipment." So I went with his recommendation.
This happened to me. I read a lot and went with UV/Ozone. I did not know this site existed. I remember that "chlorine smell" from my younger years and the reduced chlorine levels were so appealing to me. Little did I know. I was in your exact position. except I found this site the week the water went in the pool. needless to say, my signature says it all. This site taught me what I didn't know I didn't know. My signature reflects what I know now.

I too, have a wife (at least as I type this. I'm minute-to-minute most days :p) and I basically had to having a coming to the back patio meeting with her and say we can't have two pool managers in my house. Either you manage it or I do. I won.

As Jim said, you can't even tell there is chlorine in the pool using LC or a SWCG.

Reactions: Hootz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This seems to be a common misconception held by pool builders, particularly in Texas.
I do a 70% drain to get the CYA under control.
With a SWG, TFP recommends a higher CYA. You can run CYA between 60-90 ppm. In your area, 70-80 ppm is optimal.

To confirm your CYA level, follow the diluted test procedure (Step #8 below)>

If you have the Taylor K-2005, you need to add the FAS/DPD Chlorine (drop) test, # K-1515 to accurately measure FC and CC.

Reactions: sedouglas72
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.