Trying to get the CYA under control.

Yeah, I have read basically the whole book, or at least anything that pertains to the pool I am taking care of.

What is considered a large pool, medium pool, small pool? I haven't found anything that defines that.

Should I slam the pool, or just keep the chlorine levels in range? The water is crystal clear, but I did just basically refill it with fresh water LOL. That would help to raise the CYA too right?

No, a refill will lower CYA some. If your water is crystal clear, you should do an OCLT to see if you need to SLAM or not. Add enough liquid chlorine to raise FC to around 10 and test it after sun is down. Record your number. Then, wake up early and take another FC reading before sun hits the pool. If you've lost 1 PPM FC or less, you pass and there is no need to do a SLAM.

When you took a CYA reading of 40, did you take the reading with the pool still not quite full? That may account somewhat for the lower CYA reading the last time.

I’ve really enjoyed reading this thread! TFP’ers you’re so awesome! And LordBob, you’re a TFP rockstar! Great work getting that pool up and running!

you should do an OCLT to see if you need to SLAM or not.

I tested the Chlorine this morning at just after dawn, but before the Sun was up, and I got a 4 with the drop test, my last result yesterday, early evening, was 5, so I'm thinking I don't need to slam it. While I was draining the pool I saw some algae around the returns, in the skimmers, and on the bottom step of the ladder in the deep end, but I hit it with straight 12.5% chlorine, and a brush. I'm pretty sure I got it all though.

Hey Guys,

The health Dept. came this morning and gave me the go ahead to reopen the pool. Thanks for all your help I don't think I could have done it without your help.

One thing they said is they require some type of auto chlorinator. We have one that uses the pucks, they said putting the chlorine in myself wasn't okay. I'm not sure why. I'm going to have to do some research on that. That just doesn't sound right to me. Now if I use the puck feeder, how fast is my CYA going to go crazy? It was my understanding that the puck feeder was only to supplement the chlorine I put in, am I wrong?

The health Dept. came this morning and gave me the go ahead to reopen the pool. Thanks for all your help I don't think I could have done it without your help.

One thing they said is they require some type of auto chlorinator. We have one that uses the pucks, they said putting the chlorine in myself wasn't okay. I'm not sure why. I'm going to have to do some research on that. That just doesn't sound right to me. Now if I use the puck feeder, how fast is my CYA going to go crazy? It was my understanding that the puck feeder was only to supplement the chlorine I put in, am I wrong?

Good to see the pool is much improved.

My opinion is that the Health Dept doesn't want to rely on a manual chlorine addition system because doses can get forgotten, you could get sick, quit the job, hit by a bus... At least with an automatic system, it could go days without intervention if needed.

I agree that a Stenner chlorine pump or SWG should be installed. It'll make your like easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, it's me again :neutral:. When the Health Dept. came out their CYA reading, in their little machine, was 32. My reading was 30 so pretty accurate, a little lower than I want it so I added 2 scoops of dichlor (that I was told is 1lb, I'd estimate it to hold about a quart of liquid, I'll check to be more accurate) Now my CYA is 65.

All test readings:

FC: 3.5
CC: 1.5
CH: 275
TA: 120
Ph: 7.8 C: 5.0+ (These are the K1000 tests)
CYA: 65

My CC is high so that tells me I have a problem according to the pool school, my FC is low considering my CYA is now 65, my Ph is on the high side of what I want, but still within the range. CH in range, TA not bad. What am I missing here? What could be going on to make my CC so high, and what can I do about it?

- - - Updated - - -

Pool math says to add 1qt and 7oz for a Ph 7.5, of acid, and 1.2 12.5% liquid chlorine to get my Ph a bit lower and my FC to 8.

1 pound of dichlor would not add 35ppm of CYA to a 34k pool. One of your tests was wrong.

Okay, I figured out one of the problems, it's 1lb of DE, I used a scale and it's just under 3 lbs of dichlor. Which would raise my CYA by 11 at 6 lbs (2 scoops), I did that twice, once right before the Health department test, I read it can take 24-48 hours for it to distribute through the pool, so I have added 12 lbs. of Dichlor, adding aprox. 22 PPM to my CYA. I also added the Acid and12.5% liquid chlorine, I'll take another test in an hour or so, see where I am then.

But that still doesn't tell me why my CC is so high.

Okay retest:

FC:10
CC:0.0
Ph: 7.5
TA: 120

Those are the only ones I retested as I didn't add anything that would change the 275 CH, or the 65 CYA. I guess everything fell into place when I raised the FC and Lowered the Ph, I feel better now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.