True pool measurement vs supplier posted size

mia092

Jan 15, 2016
canada
Getting a fibreglass pool 12x25 however it looks like (maybe it’s common with fibreglass) that this measurement is not swimming space but measurement from exterior shell wall so actual useable space is less. I am so disappointed. Wishing we had gone with vinyl. For vinyl pool I am guessing it is a true measurement of swimming space? We were told we’d need a retaining wall with vinyl but not with fibreglass so we were hoping to avoid retaining wall, not feel we sacrificed pool for maybe not that big a deal of having a retaining wall. Thoughts ? Losing sleep over this project.

Getting a fibreglass pool 12x25 however it looks like (maybe it’s common with fibreglass) that this measurement is not swimming space but measurement from exterior shell wall so actual useable space is less.

How much difference do you think there is between the outside and inside measurements?

8B3C0877-FA18-44A4-ADA0-4AEA468B6C7F.jpeg

mia,

I assume you already have the shell installed???

I doubt the difference in size is really about how they measure the pool, but rather that 12' x 25' sounds big in your head, but not near as big when you see it installed. It will look better when the decking is done, and you have water in it.

What is the current status of your pool build??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Getting a fibreglass pool 12x25 however it looks like (maybe it’s common with fibreglass) that this measurement is not swimming space but measurement from exterior shell wall so actual useable space is less. I am so disappointed. Wishing we had gone with vinyl. For vinyl pool I am guessing it is a true measurement of swimming space? We were told we’d need a retaining wall with vinyl but not with fibreglass so we were hoping to avoid retaining wall, not feel we sacrificed pool for maybe not that big a deal of having a retaining wall. Thoughts ? Losing sleep over this project.
Yes, I agree and sympathize with you. When I bought a 14 x 30 fiberglass pool i didn’t realize either that the 14 foot width is from the edge of the fiberglass on one side to the edue on the other. The lip of the shell reduces the water with by around 6 inches per side which meant I had 13 ft of water. I was very disappointed in that because I had the space for A wider pool. This should be made much clearer when people are purchasing the fibergalss pools. Your model is rectangular. It is worse in the shaped models becasue the measurement is from the farthest outside portion Of the pool. my fiberglss pool is 11 years old and has been perfect in terms of no maintenance on the shell so overall I just got used to the smaller appearance. You will be happy you went with fiberglas

Reactions: mia092
Yes, I agree and sympathize with you. When I bought a 14 x 30 fiberglass pool i didn’t realize either that the 14 foot width is from the edge of the fiberglass on one side to the edue on the other. The lip of the shell reduces the water with by around 6 inches per side which meant I had 13 ft of water. I was very disappointed in that because I had the space for A wider pool. This should be made much clearer when people are purchasing the fibergalss pools. Your model is rectangular. It is worse in the shaped models becasue the measurement is from the farthest outside portion Of the pool. my fiberglss pool is 11 years old and has been perfect in terms of no maintenance on the shell so overall I just got used to the smaller appearance. You will be happy you went with fiberglas
Thanks for this, I would have gone up one size had I known-we liked the size for balance in the yard -plenty of space leftover for sitting areas , grass, room to play, hot tub, -we didn’t want the yard to be all pool but fun spot to chill , hang and cool off -take a dip-figured if kids really want to dive a quick 10 minute drive to the community pool is fun change. I am hoping our experience is same and once we’re in it we come to love it. Hoping it’s as low maintenance as everyone says.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.