Truclear problems and questions

May 13, 2014
Port Charlotte, Fl
Let me start with, been around here for several years. Pool maintenance business in Indiana past 12 yrs. Have not been thrilled with Jandy equip installed. Less than 6 months replaced pump, 4 controllers to finally get one to work. Not sure about swg.
ph 7.6
alk 80
cal 400
cya 70
fc 6 if liquid added
salt 3200
Proper slam & oclt all passed.
pump running 30 gpm on flometer, 13 hrs a day. Swg at 100%. Will not maintain any chlorine level. Pool company says swg working properly. I have worked with several Haywards and with setups similar to this, run about 30%, 6-7 hrs a day and never touch anything. 24v test terminals for element read 19.5v. Comp says this is normal. Any thoughts happily accepted. Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the pool volume? Can you see any bubbles on the SWG plates? I have also put a test tube right in the return flow path and gotten higher chlorine readings so maybe try that. Get your sample direct from the return flow and see how much chlorine you are registering. It is possible you are burning through chlorine very quickly due to some issue.

Sorry you can't see the sigline with the phone interface. When you say will not maintain any level, what does that mean? You test and get no chlorine in the water at all?

13 hours at 100% should add 6-7 ppm of FC to your pool.

Last edited:
That SWG should be able to maintain a good level for your sized pool. Without ruling out that it is not running properly, I would suggest doing another overnight chlorine loss test. Your target level at that CYA is around a 5. The pool should not lose more than maybe 2-3 per day. I suggest also putting your pump on 24x7 and see what that gets you. My neighbor has that same SWG on a 24k gallon pool and runs it 24/7 at 90% to maintain his levels.

No messages. Cell looks brand new, never had any build up. Yes cause of voltage output. Maybe I was expecting too much. Do not think so. My point, why have vs pump and good swg if you have too run them on hi at 100% on a pool 1/3 the size they are rated for? I could have done that with a single speed pump and liquid chlorine and saved a few $1000 . Saving nothing on utilities! I feel should have done Hayward swg , other equip may have been fine. They have always done way more than promised. This set up has not been close.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What I would suggest is turn the SWG off entirely for a week and see how much chlorine the pool is using when you chlorinate with bleach. Lots of people use that SWG and it produces plenty of chlorine for a pool your size.

My TRUCLEAR is running @ 60% VSP @ 2000RPM for 19k gallons 8A-5P. I can see fizz type bubbles out of returns closest to pool equipment. Sun is over pool all day and weather has been 86+ this week and I am maintaining FC 5. I will test in a few minutes as I added liquid chlorine yesterday morning to bring FC to 6.

No test strips for anything but salt.
Tim, can you see fizz in salt element?
Pool and all equipment less than 1 year old.

You really need to do another oclt. When the swg is running you should see bubbles forming on the plates.

What was the FC and CCs this morning?

Read through this pretty quickly. I only have a couple additional comments:
  • When you test FC it's a good idea to check/record CC and pH. Often CC is the first indicator you have a potential recurrence of algae or something that's consuming FC. This is especially true when you seem to be consuming higher than expected FC.
  • Just another data point for you is that I have a Circupool RJ 30 + running 40% and maintaining 6-7.5 FC and my CYA is only 50 ppm. I'll be adding that soon. I'm pretty close to you so very similar weather. Your unit should be maintaining similar to mine since your output is slightly less and your pool is also a little smaller. So either you have algae and don't realize it yet or your unit is not producing close to the rated chlorine amount.
  • Check a sample of your return water for FC. This should be very high FC and confirm you're generating sufficient FC. With a known flow rate and upstream FC you can do a quick material balance on FC to see how much your cell is producing. If it's low you should pursue a warranty exchange.
  • Test strips for salt level can be off by 500 ppm. If it's on the low side this could can contribute to potential lower than expected FC production.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.