Trouble Balancing Pool - just opened

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some guidance, I've had my pool for about 7 years now and have never had chemical issues before, until opening this year.

I opened the pool 5/16, filled it up (city water), used my normal go-to brand of 3" chlorine tablets in a floater, and let everything filter/cycle for 24 hours, I then took a water sample to Leslies to get it tested, below are the results:

1589980010826.png

As you can see, everything is REALLY high!!

Especially the Cyanuric acid and phosphates, thus my first task was to get the cyanuric acid down.

I drained 1/3rd of the pool water and re-filled and let that cycle for 24 hours - I'll be taking a sample to leslies to have it tested, however I fear that my Cyanuric acid levels have not dropped at all as I have an Pool Exact EZ photometer (https://sensafe.com/pool-exact-ez/) (No i did not buy it, received it as a beta tester), when using it to test my Cyanuric acid level the reading I am receiving back is "too high for the testing range" with the range maxing out at 120.

Apart from draining more water and filling back up - what else can I do?

PROUD,
Hi and welcome, I would suggest you do your own water testing and not pool store. In my signature is a link to the TF-100 used by many here on the forum. Order that and get back with the new test results.

Thanks Wireform,

Unfortunately color marker based test kits are challenging for me as i'm severely colorblind which severely impacts my ability to gauge the color variations of a test kit such as the TF-100, this is actually partially how I landed up receiving Pool Exact Photometer which is the ideal solution for myself, however I do also have to rely on pool store testings.

I landed up draining about 60% of the pool and refilling again with city water over night (pumps off), a quick test this morning is looking a lot better:
pH: 7.6
FAC: 2.7
ALK: 73
CYA: 87

Will be running the pump for the next 24 hours to let it all circulate and see what happens, all is all levels look much better though I am still hoping pH and CYA drop a bit before the weekend.

Best regards

With high CYA the suggestion will always be a drain and refill. Would have expected a 60% drop with a 60% refill so im surprised you only dropped about 25%.

The main suggestion here moving forward is to stop using tablets. Tablets continually raise CYA. Should switch over to using bleach which won't impact your CYA.

Pool calculator on here can tell you your ideal FC level to maintain based on CYA if you're looking to avoid draining before this weekend.

Not familiar with the tester being used but might be good info for someone who is if you indicate where in the pool you are testing.

With high CYA the suggestion will always be a drain and refill. Would have expected a 60% drop with a 60% refill so im surprised you only dropped about 25%.

The main suggestion here moving forward is to stop using tablets. Tablets continually raise CYA. Should switch over to using bleach which won't impact your CYA.

Pool calculator on here can tell you your ideal FC level to maintain based on CYA if you're looking to avoid draining before this weekend.

Not familiar with the tester being used but might be good info for someone who is if you indicate where in the pool you are testing.

Thanks, agree that i also expected a larger drop in CYA but either way glad it is closer to normal range now.
Will most definitely be moving away from the tablets!

I've been taking a water sample from the deep end of the pool, only collecting a bottled sample once the bottle is at full arms length.

Pool is rectangle in shape, 20x40, with main drain in the deep end, 4 water jets and 2 skimmer ports (one in the shallow and one in the deepend)

Below is a link to the tester being used:

Best regards

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.