Trim tile--can it be repaired after plaster?

wendro01

Jun 30, 2021
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
We're building a gunite, in-ground pool and planning to go with a Primera Stone plaster finish. We included trim tile (step and bench edges) in our plans, but now we're being told that if we do that, there is no way to repair it down the road without re-plastering that area of the pool. Does anyone have experience with long-term maintenance of trim tile? Is there really no way to repair/replace tiles that may become cracked or pop loose? With so many people doing trim tile, I'm having a hard time believing there's no way to repair/replace?

I contacted Wet Edge directly and they said they no longer recommend doing trim tile with Primera Stone due to damage risk during installation, and they also said the only way to repair tiles damaged during installation would require chipping out that area of plaster, repairing tile, and then re-plastering. Anyone with any experience with this (any plaster or finish, not limited to Primera Stone)?

And, if it turns out it's best to not do the trim tile, does anyone have any recommendations for another way to highlight the steps for safety reasons? Spotter tiles would have the same issue--are there any other ways to make the step changes visible for safety?

I personally have never had a problem with trim tile cracking or needing replacement. If the tile was needing to be replaced from those two reasons I would think that the plaster surrounding it would be damaged also. I would not let this hamper my decision to place trim tile for safety reasons like outlining the edges.

Attachments

• 84F81430-1AD3-4065-BDAB-7A795F7DCAD8.jpeg
    84F81430-1AD3-4065-BDAB-7A795F7DCAD8.jpeg
    554.4 KB · Views: 33
  • F86D2327-C5A6-482C-BC13-97E1DBF2D5C9.jpeg
    F86D2327-C5A6-482C-BC13-97E1DBF2D5C9.jpeg
    460.5 KB · Views: 31
  • C5E2027B-B597-4E91-8070-3E9B0E0AB6D9.jpg
    C5E2027B-B597-4E91-8070-3E9B0E0AB6D9.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: wendro01
I personally have never had a problem with trim tile cracking or needing replacement. If the tile was needing to be replaced from those two reasons I would think that the plaster surrounding it would be damaged also. I would not let this hamper my decision to place trim tile for safety reasons like outlining the edges.
Thank you, it’s very helpful to understand whether this is much of an issue to consider and it doesn’t sound like it!

I think I might know why the issue is being brought up - the Primera Stone finish is heavily polished after install, the tile would need to be at just the right height to be able to polish around it, and not damage the tile.

They will be using polishing pads to "grind" down the plaster finish to make it smooth - having a series of tiles imbedded in the plaster could easily be damaged when that is happening. My builder recommended against marker tiles partly for that reason.

Our builder refused to do trim tile with Primera stone, even more so that we did glass tile. Even some of our waterline glass tile got a little “polished” / scratched. 100% because it’s hard / nearly impossible to not go over the trim tile some when you’re polishing, and the pads are going to scratch the tile.

If the polishers were very skilled, went slowly, and had perfect control of the polishers, you could get away with it…just high margin for error

Our builder refused to do trim tile with Primera stone, even more so that we did glass tile. Even some of our waterline glass tile got a little “polished” / scratched. 100% because it’s hard / nearly impossible to not go over the trim tile some when you’re polishing, and the pads are going to scratch the tile.

If the polishers were very skilled, went slowly, and had perfect control of the polishers, you could get away with it…just high margin for error
Thanks—I’m not sure if I’m more surprised that your builder refused or that ours is willing to do it, as long as we understand we could have damaged tile. I could probably live with some scratches (not doing glass tile) but I think I’m more concerned now with our seeming inability to fix tile issues down the road without also replastering. Did you find any other way to define the steps for safety/visibility? Are you happy with Primera Stone, btw?

I think I might know why the issue is being brought up - the Primera Stone finish is heavily polished after install, the tile would need to be at just the right height to be able to polish around it, and not damage the tile.

They will be using polishing pads to "grind" down the plaster finish to make it smooth - having a series of tiles imbedded in the plaster could easily be damaged when that is happening. My builder recommended against marker tiles partly for that reason.
Thank you—did you find another way to make the steps more visible?

I haven't had any issues with the edges or steps - the depth and color change makes it pretty obvious. We have a sport pool, so no deep end per say - and we have a long bench along one side. All are very easy to see.

edit: I know one or more people have had some additional glass or abalone put on the top surfaces of the steps and/or baja shelf - that might be an option if you want to have more visibility on a surface

Last edited:
Yes we love the Primera stone. So very happy with it. We had an issue where there was a lot of “holes” in the finish…almost like little pebbles popped out. It wasn’t all over but it was apparent on our tanning ledge at night because we have a light there. But the builder came out and drained the pool and polished more in those areas and it helped a lot. Plaster co said that was pretty common though, and isn’t a defect in the finish just happens with pebble pools and you only notice it really on Primera. Surprised I haven’t seen it talked about on here.

But yes, we absolutely love the finish. Ours is sky blue treasure so it’s a white base finish and the steps are really apparent. No issues with visibility.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.