Annapolis MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Anybody have any tricks for dissolving CYA?

I usually have to add a bunch at startup after adding make up water.

I’ve tried putting the CYA In a mesh bag and either hanging in front of the skimmer, or in the skimmer. It still takes weeks to dissolve. Meanwhile, my CYA is low and the sun is coming for my chlorine.

I’ve tried adding boiling water to the CYA in a bucket; that helps, but once the water cools off is back to slowville.

Do you guys have any tricks?

Last edited:
What are you doing to dissolve it?
I have a large pool and need big doses so I tie it up in a Tshirt instead of several socks.

I make a pile on the chest of the shirt and fold the sides up into a sack and then tie off the top. Then I hang that in front of a return and walk away from it.

It still takes weeks to dissolve.
QS,

I assume that is a little bit of sarcasm :mrgreen:

My CYA is gone in a few hours...

1. I put the CYA into a women's knee high stocking.
2. I then use the neck of the stocking to hang the stocking over an operating pool return.
3. I come back in an hour or so and squeeze the stocking while in the water. This produce a large cloud of CYA..
4. I come back in an hour or so and do it again, and repeat.
5. 95% of the CYA is gone with in half a day or less.
6. I throw the stocking away..

Note.. If you don't squeeze, it seems the CYA forms a crust that prevents the CYA from escaping the stocking.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I found out this year that not all 100% cya dissolves the same for some reason. I had two 3lb socks each with different cya. One was from home depot and the other was from in the swim. The one from home depot would squish out in no time and the one from in the Swin never did. It ended up taking 3 days to dissolve.

I even switched which skimmers they were in and it made no difference. I don't understand what the difference is as they both looked the same amd were 100% but for some reason not all go squishy. 🤷‍♂️

I use old pair of panty hose, set it inside a leaf net with pole attached. Kinda balance the pole so it doesn’t fall in, get the net in front of a return, but not against the vinyl. Leave it be, squish it, leave it be, squish it….repeat. If I’m in a hurry I’ll sit on the side of the pool and squish longer….

I found out this year that not all 100% cya dissolves the same for some reason. I had two 3lb socks each with different cya.
I had 2 small bags with the same brand CYA, from the same pallet, respond differently. One mushed right out and one took 2 days. All I can speculate is some moisture got in the difficult bag and it firmed it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. All you hot climate people. Try it in January, then report back. That's what it's like for us opening up north. :ROFLMAO:

I use a long sock and fill it with the amount I need. I get it all as wet as I can squeezing it in the pool then anchor it with a rock and let it hang over a return for a couple hours. Some dissolves but mostly it get soupy so that I can squeeze the sock over and over. I walk around to different returns squeezing at each one then it’s mostly all done. First dose of the season takes the most time but gradual changes whenever needed during the season is much quicker.

Reactions: newdude