Trichlor chlorinator and Stenner pump

I have a trichlor chlorinator connected to my return line. I don't want to remove it and throw it in garbage as I already have it and I see some situations where I could use trichlor occasionally.
Following this, on the return line, I would like to install the injection for liquid chlorine with the Stenner pump.

If I ever have both working at the same time, is it causing an issue?

As long as the liquid chlorine cannot back up into the trichlor feeder, no issues. I assume you have a check valve before the trichlor feeder?

I took mine out, I see no time that I'd ever use it again. Been on stenner pump for 3 or 4 years. I do use 1 puck in my Solar Breeze, dissolves in a week. Keeps my cya from dropping (Texas, a lot of evaporation). Also means less bleach. I buy HD 10%, add 3 gallons to my 15 gallon tank, then fill with water to 6 gallons. 5% will stay at 5% longer in the heat, and stenner and pump run on high twice as long (2hrs instead of 1). Better circulation and skimming.

Keeps my cya from dropping (Texas, a lot of evaporation).
FYI @tcat - evaporation and CYA loss have nothing to do with each other.

@gorocket1981 - your signature shows a heater. You really need a check valve between the chlorinator and the heater. The trichlor thing bleeds acidic water out of it whether the pump is running or not. So a check valve attempts to keep that from backing up into your heater core and destroying it.

Reactions: BowserB
Sorry. I misunderstood. After my heater, I have a check valve then I have my trichlor chlorinator and then it goes to the pool. Between the output of the chlorinator and the return to pool I was planning to inject the liquid chlorine but I didn't plan for a check valve there. Should I?

As long as you have your liquid chlorine pump set to not run when the pump is off you will be fine. I would make sure to have as much distance between the injection point and the trichlor thing as possible.

FYI @tcat - evaporation and CYA loss have nothing to do with each other.
I just assumed if half your water is lost and you fill with new water, cya will be down. Move is always near zero at pool start up, 35-50 during season. I have to dump 4# cya granules in each spring. I just started using picks in Solar Breeze this year not seeing a rise.

CYA is a dissolved solid. Evaporation does not remove it.

The product will degrade very slowly, primarily in elevated water temperatures.

Reactions: tcat
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.