Trichlor chlorinator and Stenner pump

gorocket1981

Jun 8, 2018
Montreal, Canada
I have a trichlor chlorinator connected to my return line. I don't want to remove it and throw it in garbage as I already have it and I see some situations where I could use trichlor occasionally.
Following this, on the return line, I would like to install the injection for liquid chlorine with the Stenner pump.

If I ever have both working at the same time, is it causing an issue?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
As long as the liquid chlorine cannot back up into the trichlor feeder, no issues. I assume you have a check valve before the trichlor feeder?

gorocket1981

Jun 8, 2018
Montreal, Canada
No. I don’t have a check valve.
That means that liquid chlorine can back up into the chlorinator?
It would be better to have a check valve between the output of the chlorinator and the injection point?

tcat

May 30, 2012
Austin, TX
I took mine out, I see no time that I'd ever use it again. Been on stenner pump for 3 or 4 years. I do use 1 puck in my Solar Breeze, dissolves in a week. Keeps my cya from dropping (Texas, a lot of evaporation). Also means less bleach. I buy HD 10%, add 3 gallons to my 15 gallon tank, then fill with water to 6 gallons. 5% will stay at 5% longer in the heat, and stenner and pump run on high twice as long (2hrs instead of 1). Better circulation and skimming.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Keeps my cya from dropping (Texas, a lot of evaporation).
FYI @tcat - evaporation and CYA loss have nothing to do with each other.

@gorocket1981 - your signature shows a heater. You really need a check valve between the chlorinator and the heater. The trichlor thing bleeds acidic water out of it whether the pump is running or not. So a check valve attempts to keep that from backing up into your heater core and destroying it.

Reactions: BowserB

gorocket1981

Jun 8, 2018
Montreal, Canada
Sorry. I misunderstood. After my heater, I have a check valve then I have my trichlor chlorinator and then it goes to the pool. Between the output of the chlorinator and the return to pool I was planning to inject the liquid chlorine but I didn't plan for a check valve there. Should I?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
As long as you have your liquid chlorine pump set to not run when the pump is off you will be fine. I would make sure to have as much distance between the injection point and the trichlor thing as possible.

tcat

May 30, 2012
Austin, TX
FYI @tcat - evaporation and CYA loss have nothing to do with each other.
I just assumed if half your water is lost and you fill with new water, cya will be down. Move is always near zero at pool start up, 35-50 during season. I have to dump 4# cya granules in each spring. I just started using picks in Solar Breeze this year not seeing a rise.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
CYA is a dissolved solid. Evaporation does not remove it.

The product will degrade very slowly, primarily in elevated water temperatures.

Reactions: tcat