Trichlor and acid

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
Our pool has virtually no CYA and pH is 8.2, and TA is around 250. Needing the convenience of tablets, at least for awhile, and I feel ok using the tablets as they will naturally add CYA (I will monitor closely to not get too high). But I haven't found how long it takes for the tablets to lower pH. I'd just assume not mess with muriatic acid if I don't have to, but I need to get the pH and TA down. Does Trichlor tabs lower pH quickly, or do I need to get things started a bit with acid? Thanks!

Trichlor acts as quickly as it takes to dissolve. If you have no CYA and high pH, the best course is to add dry CYA by hanging it in a sock in front of a return jet, and muriatic acid to lower pH. No need to be afraid of using muriatic. Stand upwind and rest the bottle on the surface of the water. Pour the estimated amount in slowly so as not to splash.

You could also get the lower percentage MA, big box stores sells the 14.5% which has less/lower fumes. You’ll have to factor in it‘s half strength so you’ll have to use more to get the same effect on the water.

Reactions: spf30
Trichlor acts as quickly as it takes to dissolve. If you have no CYA and high pH, the best course is to add dry CYA by hanging it in a sock in front of a return jet, and muriatic acid to lower pH. No need to be afraid of using muriatic. Stand upwind and rest the bottle on the surface of the water. Pour the estimated amount in slowly so as not to splash.
I guess my concern is, I don't want pH to get too low by adding acid, because for convenience sake, I need to use the tablets for awhile. So knowing they will be adding acid, I don't want to add too much acid then have the tablets drive it down too far during the time I need to use tablets. So Im wondering much acid do the tablets contain, if that's the right question!? I know CYA has to be watched closely as the tablets will drive that level up quickly (per dissolving), and I think I read a value raised per puck dissolved somewhere here on the board. So wondered if there's a similar value of how much one puck will lower pH (when dissolved)?

Do you have the PoolMath app? Using the “Effects of Adding”. Indicates 1 trichlor tablet will lower pH 0.1 raise CYA 1.3 and raise FC by 2.1

Edit: @MITBeta beat me to it. I used 7 oz in my calcs

Reactions: spf30
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.