Travertine waterline ?

Dr B

Apr 27, 2021
Port Charlotte FL
Greetings
😊
....New to this site and happy to see it exists....
Recently completed pool installation for new home build and discovered that our pool (originally planned for a glass tile waterline) had a travertine installation!
This was an oversight by the builder and the overall effect looks great. The travertine waterline tiling includes the pool AND spa, though the scuppers on the spa are marble (don’t ask me why, because I don’t know)
We are moving to this home soon and the project manager as well as the pool construction representative are coming soon to meet with me to discuss.
Should I leave this the way that it is?......or insist that it be replaced with the glass waterline?
I have no idea how travertine holds up as a waterline material.
The pool interior is a blue and white pebble composite. The pool tile quality of installation seems excellent but I don’t want headaches done the road that are currently unforeseen.
Advice is much appreciated!

Welcome to TFP :)

Are you sure they said travertine and not ceramic.. Most all 6 inch tiles are ceramic or glass.. Travertine does come in thinner sizes... Did they seal it before installing it... You are not in a freeze thaw state so you have that going for you.. I just passed on Travertine coping because my pool will freeze in the winter.. :)

Do you have pictures?

Welcome to TFP :)

Are you sure they said travertine and not ceramic.. Most all 6 inch tiles are ceramic or glass.. Travertine does come in thinner sizes... Did they seal it before installing it... You are not in a freeze thaw state so you have that going for you.. I just passed on Travertine coping because my pool will freeze in the winter.. :)

Do you have pictures?
It is travertine (thinner plates).......would be happy to send pics as soon as I can figure out how to ......
My guess is, by contract, they will likely be obliged to remedy the mistake, but I am wondering if it’s worth keeping as is ..... or am I looking at headaches down the road?

It depends, don't you just love that word :)

Depending on what type, where it came from, how hard it is, how many holes are in it, how it was sealed will depend on how long it will last... Travertine is a natural rock, some of it has lived in water for years and years and lasted, some of it has been washed away with rain...

As for pictures you just hit this button and upload them..

1619528774471.png
1619528796221.png