Total Solar Eclipse 2017

We will be in totality in 2024, but will probably go to my father's since he will get a full minute more of totality. Nearly 4 minutes, which is quite a bit for a total eclipse.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They really should try to schedule them for the weekend so the kids don't have to miss class and people don't have to miss work

My kids' school is taking the sixth graders to Bob Jones University in SC to have a weekend full of learning about the eclipse on then viewing it. We had already booked a hotel in the path of the eclipse in SC and my sweet 6th grader decided she'd rather watch it with her family. Our school is allowing students who miss school to view the eclipse to have an excused absence.
Make sure to use NASA approved glasses Reputable Vendors of Solar Filters & Viewers | Solar Eclipse Across America - August 21, 2017. Thousands of people burn their retina during an eclipse by looking at the sun directly.

I am still holding out on getting the glasses for my whole class as I have only had them for 2 days so am unsure if they will follow directions and leave their glasses on. We are going to team up to keep the "non-followers" in the building so those kids that can follow directions will get to experience it. The ones inside will get to watch it on "tv".

People should turn down their SWGs by about 1% to account for the reduced solar exposure.

They can also apply for a credit from their solar energy provider if they have solar panels, since they will lose some heat energy.

People should turn down their SWGs by about 1% to account for the reduced solar exposure.

I plan to use the glass-like surface of my pool to act as a viewer of the eclipse. With such a low reflection coefficient, no eclipses-glasses will be necessary [emoji41]

(Note - staring at the sun, even during an eclipse, can cause serious damage to your vision. Always wear ISO approved eclipse viewing glasses OR use a pin-hole camera to view the sun)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.