Total pool noob!

pappous32

Jul 12, 2019
Warner Robins, GA
Great forum, tons of useful information!

Hi all,
I recently purchased a house (not new) with an in-ground pool. The pool is 27,000 gal, rectangular. It was in a bad shape, since it was left untreated for 4 years!
I end up draining the pool using a trash pump to get rid of everything, (since vacuuming wouldn't work at all), and then all shorts of problems started!
I started filling the pool back up, and as the water level was rising the liner started to hanging down in multiple spots around the pool. So that stopped me from filling the pool completely and my wife contacted a pool store to see if they can re-stretch the liner back to place. We are on the waiting list now and for the next few weeks!
Then I started the pool-pump and it was leaking a lot from the top (handle part). I google it, found that I had to replace the "spider gasket" and so I did. Next thing I know, the capacitor died and the motor wouldn't start. Changed the capacitor, started the pump (finally) and then the mutliport valve cracked open in 5 different spots! Oh my... at that point I was like "This pool is not meant to work!". Anyways, we got the valve replacement, added the recommended chemicals from the pool store, and we had a clear water while it lasted. We left the pool for 2 weeks with no chemicals except 3 chlorine tablets in it, and the water turned green again.
I'm in the process of cleaning it now, and while I was trying to figure out the chemicals I would need on a weekly basis I found this forum. I just wish I could have found it a lot sooner!

Thank you all in advance for all the useful information posted!

Welcome to TFP. Sounds like you are going through the neglected pool fix ups.

Some things to read if you have not found it ...

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Much more at Pool School - Trouble Free Pool

Get one of our recommended test kits. TF-100 Test Kits or Taylor K-2006C. See Test Kits Compared I have the Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer which makes testing easier and more accurate.