Total Chlorine Levels Not Making Sense

KYThrill

Aug 5, 2020
Flemingsburg, KY
Hello,

I am using the Taylor 9-Way K-1005 Test Kit. It's the same kit I used last year, and bought a new one to start this year off.

I'm in the process of opening the pool. Shocked the pool and was in the process of getting the pool chlorine injector dialed in to maintain last years chlorine level, which is 5-6 ppm Free Chlorine.

Anyway, all my readings looks good and are back to last years levels, except my total chlorine readings have me at a loss.

So, the first measurement I took with the new K-1005 kit read 5 ppm Free Chlorine, but added the R0003, and that reads 3 ppm taken immediately (as instructed). That's not possible.

So I thought I did something wrong (miscounted drops), so I tested again. Again I got 5 ppm Free, 3 ppm Total. At this point, I assumed I got some bad reagent or something. So I broke out the remaining kit from last year. Chemicals left in it have a use by 9/22 date on them, so should still be good.

Took the reading again with the old kit and again, got 5 ppm Free, 3 ppm Total. An impossible reading.

So I turned off the chlorine injector for 3-days, let the pump run its normal schedule (10 hours a day). Had one day of rain that raised pool level about an inch (probably close to 500 gallons of water). I measure again with the new kit. I got a Free Chlorine of 3 ppm and total chlorine of 1 ppm. Again, an impossible reading. I didn't bother trying the old kit again.

I don't really know what is going on. All last year, using the same kit, I had no color change when adding R-0003 to measure total chlorine, which indicated no combined chlorine. It's not possible for combined chlorine to be negative, so I don't understand how two kits (last years and a new one), are showing this. It is clearly a lighter shade of pink both times after adding R-0003.

Is there some other chemical that could be in the water that effects this reagent that the test kit would otherwise not pickup? Or temperature (water temp only 68F still)? Other levels are fine, and water looks good, Everything but TC back to last years swim levels. I just don't like that I am getting a reading that shouldn't be possible. Makes me think something else is wrong I'm not catching. Maybe some chemical leeched into the pool or off the new winter pool cover, effecting this reading. I don't know.

After more research, I did find this...

"Potassium monopersulfate (MPS or potassium peroxymonosulfate) is a non-chlorine oxidizer that will interfere in the total chlorine DPD test."

I had added non-chlorine shock to the pool as part of the opening. I don't have the bags to check their contents any longer. It was Quantum. I guess QB Brite. I had added 2 lbs. "MSDS on their site says 45% POTASSIUM PEROXYMONOSULFATE". So I guess maybe that's the problem. Still doesn't make sense, because the info says the MPS should make combined chlorine appear high, which would mean total chlorine should be higher and not lower.

It also says it should oxidize in about 2 hours. It was added on 4/27, so it shouldn't still be effecting the reading. The first wrong readings I got on 5/1, which was at least 3 days after QB Brite. I wonder how long that takes to work its way out of the system to get the TC test accurate again? Or something that would interfere with the oxidation process and slow it down this much?

I still don't know that I am on the right track yet...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.