To SLAM or not to SLAM - Rain for next 7 days

Jul 17, 2014
Lexington, NC
I'm trying to get my 15' AGP from the green to sparkling clear. I've been dumping some chlorine (60-100oz a day) over the last couple days as I've been trying to get all the leaves and debris from this winter out. I was hoping to get some real numbers tomorrow and start my official SLAM. The problem I'm having is that it's been raining for the last 2 days and the forecast is calling for more of the same for at least the next 7 days and some forecast are calling for rain over the next 10. My question is should I wait to start my SLAM until the rain is done or go ahead with the SLAM process? I don't want to waist my time or my money if the rain is going to hamper my efforts. If I do proceed with the SLAM are there anything I should be aware of that might be different because of all the rain?

7day.jpg

The rain alone isn't going to disturb your SLAM so much, but that overcast sky will interfere with a good CYA test unless you already have that. As we all know, the CYA test drives your proper FC SLAM level, so that would be key. But once you have a good CYA to start with, then lower the pH to about 7.2 and increase the FC accordingly. Rain or shine .... SLAM!!!!!!!
CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Use the mixing bottle to gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Recommend standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body at waist level. Then, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. To help the eyes and prevent staring at the dot, some people find it better to pour & view in stages. Pour some solution into the viewing tube, look away, then look back again for the dot. Repeat as necessary until you feel the dot is gone. After the first CYA test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, gently shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate your own CYA reading.

I treat my pool accordingly rain or shine. Unless you are experiencing lightning overhead, tornadic and or hurricane weather, you can treat your pool in inclement weather.

Then you hope you have a great maintenance system in place, (I'm with you, hahaha, rain drenching is NOT the same as swim drenching!)
Probably has something to do with the temperature...:D

To get back to the OP. I wouldn't add LC in the middle of a downpour (unless I was wearing white. Too high of a chance for splash back). Depending on how much rain falls, you'll want to keep your eye on pH, when FC <10 (Although aeration may negate some of that effect) and adjust CYA if you need to empty some water when the rain clears, but in terms of dosing LC, rain shouldn't hamper your efforts significantly.

Probably has something to do with the temperature...:D

To get back to the OP. I wouldn't add LC in the middle of a downpour (unless I was wearing white. Too high of a chance for splash back). Depending on how much rain falls, you'll want to keep your eye on pH, when FC <10 (Although aeration may negate some of that effect) and adjust CYA if you need to empty some water when the rain clears, but in terms of dosing LC, rain shouldn't hamper your efforts significantly.

HaHa... I have some old clothes that I wear when messing with my pool. I'm not the most gracious of human beings and a little accident prone. My pool clothes are full of white dots and streaks from my many spills and splashes! My wife ask me every time I come in from the pool is my clothes have any chlorine on them so that I don't throw them in the hamper with our good clothes.

Back to the SLAM... I'm heading out of town and unfortunately my SLAM is not done yet. How far above shock level can I go and still be safe? I'm not losing a lot of FC at this point (2 ppm a day) it's more waiting on my pump to filter all the junk out. I plan on getting some good numbers this evening to see where I'm at but then we are gone for 2 nights. My current shock level is 16 guessing that my CYA is 40. Could I bump that to 20-25 range so that I don't lose too much SLAM progress over those 2 nights?

You don't have mustard algae, (note)
but since you will be gone you could add enough chlorine to bump your FC to this level: Pool School - Mustard Algae These levels are not recommended to sustain, but since you will not be adding more, a ONE TIME BUMP, should not cause harm. ~ I've done that with our pool if we are going to be gone for a few days. It will get used up/burned off until you get home :), then continue with SLAM Process for "TFP liquid crystal"!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like you are on the down slope of your SLAM. Time out of town is where tabs come into play. At least for me, but it's a slightly different story mid-SLAM. If you have an inline or floating chlorinator, I'd fill it to the brim, bring FC to SLAM, and continue with the SLAM upon your return. I wouldn't risk raising your FC much above SLAM unless you have Mustard Algae. It's not worth potentially ruining your equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.