To seal or not to seal - travertine

We install over 100K sq ft of trav pavers every year, and I don't recommend sealing.
It makes them slippery, has to, it is changing how the surface handles water.
Once you seal, you have to keep sealing.
I have NEVER seen travertine have any issues with a salt pool.
My personal pool has had travertine pavers around it for almost 11 years. Travertine paver pioneers.
Gets sprayed on by sprinklers daily, gets popsicles melted on it, ect, ect, ect, and still looks as good as when it went in.
Pretty picture

Reactions: CP Bluejay
We install over 100K sq ft of trav pavers every year, and I don't recommend sealing.
It makes them slippery, has to, it is changing how the surface handles water.
Once you seal, you have to keep sealing.
I have NEVER seen travertine have any issues with a salt pool.
My personal pool has had travertine pavers around it for almost 11 years. Travertine paver pioneers.
Gets sprayed on by sprinklers daily, gets popsicles melted on it, ect, ect, ect, and still looks as good as when it went in.
Pretty picture

Is that your pool? If so, wow! If not, still wow!

It really does seem that this forum is split on this topic. I think we may take the wait and see approach, primarily as it relates to dirt and mold/mildew. If it's a pain to keep up, we can seal it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, my pool.:cool: Thank you.
In AZ with don't have the moisture for mold issues. But I would think sealing it would trap moisture under it causing that very thing.

I sealed about 1800 ft2 of travertine pool deck and coping with two coats of Miracle 511 Seal and Enhance. One year later it still looks brand new. This sealer also makes the tile less slippery. I have no regrets and would do it again. The company we bought the pavers from, Faber, actually used pictures of our deck in their catalogue this year.

Miracle is expensive - about $170 a gallon. But they claim it will last at least 10 years, so it’s easily worth the extra expense to me.

We we live in the Houston area, so the stone gets tons of rain and moisture. I didn’t want it to start to mold like I have seen in some installations. Some of my neighbors have asked what product I used because their travertine keeps getting dirty and looking grimy.

One word of caution. The solvent used in this sealer is hexene. You should avoid the fumes if possible. Outside, it’s not a big deal. But I also sealed about 2000 ft2 of travertine inside the house and did not adequately ventilate the rooms. I ended up with a nose bleed from the hexene drying out my sinuses. We didn’t use the enhancer inside because we didn’t want to accentuate the variation. That tile and grout still looks like new as well.

I was just out cleaning up a wine spill and it came off fairly easily. I can't know for sure if the sealer helped, but maybe.

If you put it on before plastering the pool, avoid letting it drip on the gunite (drips from the edge of the coping and would reduce adhesion).

I used a clear, penetrating sealer so it didn't change grip. Slightly darkened the colour but barely noticeable. The sealer wears off over time anyway, ready for a new coat, so I'm not sure that you have to worry about long-term effects.
Needs a jet,
Great to hear the wine came of easily. If you don’t mind be asking what sealer did you use? And how long before you have to reapply?
Thanks,
Joe

Might be different brands over here in Aus, but it was Crommelin Pool Paving Sealer for Saltwater Pools

I've not re-done it. I acid wash my limestone pavers each spring to brighten them up and make it look close to new again. I've become very relaxed about losing a few microns of stone :cool: , but also very careful to rinse off the stainless steel fence fittings!

Reactions: Aquaman7
Might be different brands over here in Aus, but it was Crommelin Pool Paving Sealer for Saltwater Pools

I've not re-done it. I acid wash my limestone pavers each spring to brighten them up and make it look close to new again. I've become very relaxed about losing a few microns of stone :cool: , but also very careful to rinse off the stainless steel fence fittings!
Can you explain your process for acid washing the stone?

Looks great! We still haven't had rain since our deck was laid so im honestly not sure what it looks like when the whole thing is wet. I'm interested to see. I actually think I prefer the lighter dry look tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you like to "natural" dry look, use Stonetech bulletproof, it is NOT an enhancing sealer (will not shine). It is really not hard to apply, prep (cleaning good) is all the work! With a new install that should be minimal. Don't let anyone let you think that it is expensive, you will spend way more on chemical and electricity, which no one will ever see! 1-2 gallons every 2-3 years will come out to be about $100 per year, first time will require the most product. Anyone that is a decent painter can apply stone sealer.

Can you explain your process for acid washing the stone?

Sure. First I put mineral oil (neutral oil) on my stainless (glass fence has SS posts, I just do near the bottom and the cover rings with an oily rag). Next, mix 4:1 water to MA (aka muriatic or hydrochloric acid) in a plastic watering can. Spread out the garden hose and nozzle. Consider clothes damage (I go shorts and bare feet or flip-flops (thongs). If worried about your skin, wear gum boots, or dip your feet in the pool water every few minutes.

Sprinkle the diluted acid on liberally (it fizzes a bit), and brush with my plastic barn broom (around 15" 40cm wide). Then spray it off with the garden hose and nozzle. I do around 10 sq ft (1 sq m) at a time. Then stand in the pool to rub it all off your feet or boots and start really fully rinsing the fence fittings (significant risk of corrosion if you don't). Let it dry. Re-oil the stainless, or maybe next day.

The TA in my pool goes up a wee bit, maybe 10 ppm. Takes me around an hour and a half all up.

Reactions: Aquaman7
Sure. First I put mineral oil (neutral oil) on my stainless (glass fence has SS posts, I just do near the bottom and the cover rings with an oily rag). Next, mix 4:1 water to MA (aka muriatic or hydrochloric acid) in a plastic watering can. Spread out the garden hose and nozzle. Consider clothes damage (I go shorts and bare feet or flip-flops (thongs). If worried about your skin, wear gum boots, or dip your feet in the pool water every few minutes.

Sprinkle the diluted acid on liberally (it fizzes a bit), and brush with my plastic barn broom (around 15" 40cm wide). Then spray it off with the garden hose and nozzle. I do around 10 sq ft (1 sq m) at a time. Then stand in the pool to rub it all off your feet or boots and start really fully rinsing the fence fittings (significant risk of corrosion if you don't). Let it dry. Re-oil the stainless, or maybe next day.

The TA in my pool goes up a wee bit, maybe 10 ppm. Takes me around an hour and a half all up.
Thanks!

Reactions: needsajet

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.