To drain or not to drain

Make sure you backwash the filter when pressure increases 25% over clean/baseline pressure.
We lost 3 FC overnight.
Backwashed filter agin this morning even though pressure has stayed consistent.
Water is crystal clear today.

Attachments

• FE32AF2B-FF23-4C50-A1A3-A050A9D03A60.jpeg
    FE32AF2B-FF23-4C50-A1A3-A050A9D03A60.jpeg
    481.6 KB · Views: 24

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did u remove the light? It’s suspect #1…
Be sure to run those water falls for a couple hours every day when the water is at slam level & maybe try to scrub them with some kinda brush.
Also inspect the bot 🤖

Reactions: Jon_P
Did u remove the light? It’s suspect #1…
Be sure to run those water falls for a couple hours every day when the water is at slam level & maybe try to scrub them with some kinda brush.
Also inspect the bot 🤖
I have scrubbed down the cleaner and when we had the water down to 50% I inspected the light. It looks recently replaced because it is sealed up tight, looks like new sealant to me. Was thinking previous owner must have replaced before we moved in last year.

Update 5th SLAM day:
Only lost 2FC overnight and pool is crystal. CC is also .5 or below.
I know the criteria for the overnight test is a loss of 1 so I guess I’ll give it one more day? Or would we call it good? Is there a margin of error?

Update 5th SLAM day:
Only lost 2FC overnight and pool is crystal. CC is also .5 or below.
I know the criteria for the overnight test is a loss of 1 so I guess I’ll give it one more day? Or would we call it good? Is there a margin of error?
The 1ppm is including the margin of error. :) Keep it going. Failing OCLT with a clear pool usually means hidden algae. Have you scrubbed around any fixtures like returns? Checked the skimmer throat and weir door / foam on the back of it? Any main drains in the pool?

The photo above doesn’t look crystal clear to my eyes - I see the steps but not the floor of the pool beyond. Crystal clear means you can barely tell it has water in it. See:

Reactions: Mdragger88
The 1ppm is including the margin of error. :) Keep it going. Failing OCLT with a clear pool usually means hidden algae. Have you scrubbed around any fixtures like returns? Checked the skimmer throat and weir door / foam on the back of it? Any main drains in the pool?

The photo above doesn’t look crystal clear to my eyes - I see the steps but not the floor of the pool beyond. Crystal clear means you can barely tell it has water in it. See:

Thanks, I’ll keep at it. Yes we have scrubbed.
The picture above was taken with the pump running and the jets really move the water around.
With the pump off and no water movement, it’s exactly as you say.

Pics without pump running

Attachments

• 7BF501E9-50C4-43BF-B95B-B66B464A4173.jpeg
    7BF501E9-50C4-43BF-B95B-B66B464A4173.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 23
  • D0DE974F-C0E0-408F-8DB1-40E11AD958BB.jpeg
    D0DE974F-C0E0-408F-8DB1-40E11AD958BB.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 23
  • D553FE59-422D-491D-9A2D-83F1C8E5F2E6.jpeg
    D553FE59-422D-491D-9A2D-83F1C8E5F2E6.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: jeffchap
Keep slamming- until u pass ALL 3 end of slam criteria- there’s no set amount of time that takes. The more often u maintain slam level fc the faster it will go.
stopping short now will just put you back where u started sooner rather than later. As @IceShadow
Said - hunt for hidden algae.

Last edited:
So here is something else I have not asked about but this has happened since we moved in this house and still happens after the sand filter was cleaned and sand was changed. The pool company that serviced said this is normal.
In this picture I have zoomed in and you see what appears to be dirt/sand around the bottom of the pool. I never had this with my previous salt water pool with cartridge filters.
I brush this everyday and it accumulates every day all over again.
The pool company changed the sand and also installed a new MPV. This was about one year ago.
I did not think it was normal but they said it was normal to lose a little sand/dirt through the filter like this.
Also the pump really puts out some pressure so I know it is moving the water around pretty good and pushing whatever this is to the bottom and corners to accumulate.
Could this be causing me to lose FC overnight?

Attachments

• 905E8ACB-5B1D-458F-8544-B9766A26CFD7.jpeg
    905E8ACB-5B1D-458F-8544-B9766A26CFD7.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
So here is something else I have not asked about but this has happened since we moved in this house and still happens after the sand filter was cleaned and sand was changed. The pool company that serviced said this is normal.
In this picture I have zoomed in and you see what appears to be dirt/sand around the bottom of the pool. I never had this with my previous salt water pool with cartridge filters.
I brush this everyday and it accumulates every day all over again.
The pool company changed the sand and also installed a new MPV. This was about one year ago.
I did not think it was normal but they said it was normal to lose a little sand like this.
Also the pump really puts out some pressure so I know it is moving the water around pretty good and pushing whatever this is to the bottom and corners to accumulate.
Could this be causing me to lose FC overnight?
Try to collect some- If it’s gritty, its sand- if it poofs, its algae.

If it poofs up when brushed, it likely is dead algae.

Once you think you're done with SLAM, I'd do it 1-2 more days. You want to be 100% done, as 99% done is a sure-fire way to end up in SLAM'ing again.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.