Jon_P

Jun 11, 2022
Round Rock Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I’m being told by the pool store that I need to drain 1/2 because of high cya. Pool is clear but had a smalll algae buildup up on one wall that alerted me. It brushed right off, but will come back I’m sure if levels aren’t corrected.
In store test readings show things are off.
We have recently moved and this is our first summer with a chlorine pool.
For the last 12 years I have maintained a saltwater pool so this is new to me.
I have ordered a TF-100 test kit to start testing myself but they are on back order for about 2 weeks.
What would you guys suggest I do?
A. Trust the pool store readings, drain 1/2, test again and add chemicals to balance or
B. Wait until I receive the test kit and go from there?
C. Is there a C?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1F556D4F-A57A-48EF-B33A-143F52BA03FD.jpeg
    1F556D4F-A57A-48EF-B33A-143F52BA03FD.jpeg
    636.6 KB · Views: 120
Trust the pool store readings
Bad idea. You're flying blind.

Wait until I receive the test kit and go from there?
Two weeks is a long time. You can try getting a K-2006C. Or you can find a friend or neighbor that has a TF-100 or K-2006C and borrow their test kit.

We have recently moved and this is our first summer with a chlorine pool.
For the last 12 years I have maintained a saltwater pool so this is new to me.
Saltwater pools are chlorine pools. It just uses a SWG to make chlorine.

Start here:

How are you chlorinating? Fill out your signature when you have a minute. (And welcome to TFP!)

Bad idea. You're flying blind.

Two weeks is a long time. You can try getting a K-2006C. Or you can find a friend or neighbor that has a TF-100 or K-2006C and borrow their test kit.

Saltwater pools are chlorine pools. It just uses a SWG to make chlorine.

Start here:

How are you chlorinating? Fill out your signature when you have a minute. (And welcome to TFP!)
Thanks!
We are chlorinating with tabs in a floater.
I understand saltwater pools are chlorine pools, I should have been clearer. I never had high cya in all of those years with our saltwater pool.
Good idea about borrowing a test kit. I’ll make a post in our neighborhood forum.

I have ordered a TF-100 test kit to start testing myself but they are on back order for about 2 weeks.
Hi, Nate from TFTestkits here. Everything is currently in stock excepting pH meters. Have you already placed your order? Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I’m happy to help in any way I can if you are experiencing any issues. If you place an order today you could have a TF100 by the end of the week.

Reactions: Staceyleah22
We are chlorinating with tabs in a floater.
There's your problem. Each tab adds CYA to your water, and your CYA level will quickly elevate.

There are two long-term sustainable ways to chlorinate: liquid chlorine or SWG.

Remove the tabs now and stop making the problem worse. Start using liquid chlorine exclusively and seriously consider a SWG.

Hi, Nate from TFTestkits here. Everything is currently in stock excepting pH meters. Have you already placed your order? Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I’m happy to help in any way I can if you are experiencing any issues. If you place an order today you could have a TF100 by the end of the week.
Wow! Thanks Nate.
Yes I have placed the order already.
I’ll fwd my order to your email!

Reactions: Sarah and Nate
There's your problem. Each tab adds CYA to your water, and your CYA level will quickly elevate.

There are two long-term sustainable ways to chlorinate: liquid chlorine or SWG.

Remove the tabs now and stop making the problem worse. Start using liquid chlorine exclusively and seriously consider a SWG.
Tabs are out! Thank you!!
Absolutely will be converting over. There is a Hayward T-15 installed that does not work and we will be replacing. The Goldline Aqua Rite generator is here too but is not in use. Was off when we purchased the home. All lights work.
We need a new sand filter so going to combine that project. Was trying to make it until next summer for that project.

Sounds like you have some work ahead of you. If your cya has anything close to what the pool store reported, plan to drain a good portion of the water. For now, add 4 to 5 ppm of liquid chlorine daily until your test kit arrives. Post up some results and we'll walk you through the process.

Reactions: Jon_P

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like you have some work ahead of you. If your cya has anything close to what the pool store reported, plan to drain a good portion of the water. For now, add 4 to 5 ppm of liquid chlorine daily until your test kit arrives. Post up some results and we'll walk you through the process.
Received the test kit. Here are the results:
CYA: 90
Total Chlorine: less than .5
PH: 7.2
Total Alkalinity: 70

I appreciate any suggestions from here!

Received the test kit. Here are the results:
CYA: 90
Total Chlorine: less than .5
PH: 7.2
Total Alkalinity: 70

I appreciate any suggestions from here!
Go ahead and complete the CH test also. How confident are you on the CYA test? If you have any doubts it may be higher, do a diluted test. You're basically mixing half of the pool water sample with tap water before adding the R-0013 reagent. You'll double the test result:

If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally from step 2, but multiply the final result by two.

Have you been adding 4-5 ppm of chlorine daily?

How does the water look? Do you suspect algae (green, cloudy, stuff growing on walls)?

This is a good time to create you signature. Knowing more about your pool and and equipment will help us help you.

If the water is clear, do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae.

Here are some test tips to help you get more accurate results:
  • Get a sample bottle with a dropper style tip. Leslie's has nice ones they'll give you for free.
  • Always rinse sample vials with pool water before and after use. With small sample size, even a bit of fresh tap water can skew results
  • When using droppers, keep the bottle vertical. Squeeze only enough to allow the drops to just fall off the tip
  • Go slow between drops (about 1 second between) and watch closely for color changes. On most tests, color hues are less important than determining the "endpoint."
  • The endpoint for most "count the drops" type tests is when there is no more color change. Keep adding drops until there is no color change. Don't count the last drop that results in no color change
  • For the first few tests, wipe the tip of the R-0009 TA bottle between each drop with a damp rag to eliminate static charge
  • Use 10 mL sample size for FC/CC test (R-0870/R-0871/R-0003 reagents)
  • Use 25 mL sample for TA test
  • Use 10 mL sample for CH test
  • For some tests, swirling is critical to achieve accurate results (there's a tool for that). Keep swirling the vial throughout the test.
  • Get that tool when your budget permits. You'll be glad you did.
  • Try to develop a routine and stick with it. Do the tests the same way each time.

Reactions: EASyDAII
Go ahead and complete the CH test also. How confident are you on the CYA test? If you have any doubts it may be higher, do a diluted test. You're basically mixing half of the pool water sample with tap water before adding the R-0013 reagent. You'll double the test result:

If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally from step 2, but multiply the final result by two.

Have you been adding 4-5 ppm of chlorine daily?

How does the water look? Do you suspect algae (green, cloudy, stuff growing on walls)?

This is a good time to create you signature. Knowing more about your pool and and equipment will help us help you.

If the water is clear, do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae.

Here are some test tips to help you get more accurate results:
  • Get a sample bottle with a dropper style tip. Leslie's has nice ones they'll give you for free.
  • Always rinse sample vials with pool water before and after use. With small sample size, even a bit of fresh tap water can skew results
  • When using droppers, keep the bottle vertical. Squeeze only enough to allow the drops to just fall off the tip
  • Go slow between drops (about 1 second between) and watch closely for color changes. On most tests, color hues are less important than determining the "endpoint."
  • The endpoint for most "count the drops" type tests is when there is no more color change. Keep adding drops until there is no color change. Don't count the last drop that results in no color change
  • For the first few tests, wipe the tip of the R-0009 TA bottle between each drop with a damp rag to eliminate static charge
  • Use 10 mL sample size for FC/CC test (R-0870/R-0871/R-0003 reagents)
  • Use 25 mL sample for TA test
  • Use 10 mL sample for CH test
  • For some tests, swirling is critical to achieve accurate results (there's a tool for that). Keep swirling the vial throughout the test.
  • Get that tool when your budget permits. You'll be glad you did.
  • Try to develop a routine and stick with it. Do the tests the same way each time.
Thank you!
Performed the diluted CYA and it was a little higher close to 95.

Yes my wife has been adding 5 ppm liquid bleach daily (I’ve been out of town for 4 days) Do not have liquid Chlorine but going to get some tomorrow.

Pool is cloudy now and yes there is some light algae now. We have been brushing daily.

I added info to my signature

So let's call CYA 100.

How do you plan to chlorinate after you SLAM?

You need to drain some water to get CYA down. Just trying to figure out how much...

Attachments

• 1655600982446.jpeg
    1655600982446.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 7
A CYA of 50-60 is good level for a liquid chlorine pool in TX. I would exchange 50% of water, confirm CYA results, then follow the SLAM Process.

TFP usually recommends a CYA of 30 for the SLAM. Slamming at 50 will require more chlorine to reach initial SLAM level, but FC loss during the SLAM should be about the same. Your choice.

You got this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.