To cover or not to cover

Egk2

Oct 30, 2017
Mid Michigan
Hello, new guy with first question. I did search before posting but didnt find a good thread.
Is it a good or bad idea to cover my equipment like pump and filter before the snow falls?
I cover my air conditioner every fall I figured moght as well cover the pool equipment too.

Thoughts?

Have you closed the pool yet? Here is a link to how we do it:

Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

Some people go as far as to bring the equipment inside BUT if you take all of the water out of the equipment you should be fine. You know about protecting your water hoses and such from the freeze you get. Can you do the same thing for your pump and filter?

If you want to cover it you sure can. Do you need to? I don't think so but it is up to you.. Do what you think needs to be done.

Kim:kim:

Yes, the Pb winterized it and they installed the safety mesh cover. He said I can cover the equipment if I wanted to but not necessary. Just wanted to hear some other opinions and if there are specific covers available. I could use a tarp and ratchet straps but rather have a cover made for the equipment

since we don't close our pool, Skippy does toss a tarp over the equipment during the few cold freezing nights we have here in GA. He also hangs a small car lamp under the tarp those nights. But that is all because we run the pump and want to keep everything a bit warmer if possible. For you, since you close it wouldn't be an issue I reckon.

It does help keep the equipment cleaner looking though.... <shrug>

Maddie :flower:

You may not even need to cover the equipment - but if you don't - be DILIGENT about keeping the leaves off your pump and other things that can rust !!! personal experiance - Lost a pump because I was too lazy to keep the leaves off of my pump - the outside part of the motor rusted out, then the shaft .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.