Tips and Tricks

Re: A couple of tips I thought everybody knew. Anybody got some

Actually a rubber band and some plastic wrap is quicker and easier.

- - - Updated - - -

I went through a few of those cheap vinyl backwash hoses before I discovered a high quality trash pump discharge hose could be had for about $60. I added some cam-lock fittings and now it just snaps on and off, and will last forever.

I've seen people talk about using fire hoses as backwash hoses but you seem to be talking about something different.
Is the type of hose you use something a person might be able to find locally in a store? Seems like the fire hoses are usually found on eBay and I'd rather see it in person. :)

I've seen people talk about using fire hoses as backwash hoses but you seem to be talking about something different.
Is the type of hose you use something a person might be able to find locally in a store? Seems like the fire hoses are usually found on eBay and I'd rather see it in person. :)

I answered my own question!
Portable Generators, Pressure Washers, Power Tools, Welders | Northern Tool + Equipment
Look what I found and it shows in stock at a local store.
I wonder if it would be good? No idea how I'd attach it to my pump though. Hmmmm

I answered my own question!
Portable Generators, Pressure Washers, Power Tools, Welders | Northern Tool + Equipment
Look what I found and it shows in stock at a local store.
I wonder if it would be good? No idea how I'd attach it to my pump though. Hmmmm
I used an adapter to a cam lock fitting. It screwed right on.

Here is a hose similar to what I bought.

Anderson Pump Scientific

Here is the adapter I used.

Banjo 200A Polypropylene Cam Scientific

I used an adapter to a cam lock fitting. It screwed right on.

Here is a hose similar to what I bought.

Anderson Pump Scientific

Here is the adapter I used.

Banjo 200A Polypropylene Cam Scientific

found this hose on amazon, cut the end about 12 inches and fits on the end of a 2 inch to 1.5 inch adapter.. it is 50 foot long and if needed you can add as many 50 foot sections as you want, just screw them together... The hose is very thick and rated for 75 PSI..
Amazon.com: Apache 98138045 PVC Lay-Flat Blue Discharge Hose With Male x Female Aluminum Short Shank, 75 PSI, 50 Scientific

WSeqq4Fh.jpg

aYd3XcXh.jpg

AMle73hh.jpg

vwkRSaLh.jpg

I have 2 of the cheap backwash hoses from lowes that I connected (with my own ghetto rigged connector that is made for something else) but the hoses are so cheap and the holes are ridiculous at this point. It's getting more and more ghetto as a couple of weeks ago I added duct tape to the mix.

I don't want to buy another cheap one because it will just get more holes.

Mine is attached to a screwed in hose fitting on my filter. I'm pretty sure the filter has female threads...so if I wanted to screw something directly to the filter it would have to be a male fitting of some sort that I could then attach one of the nicer hoses to.

Or, do what cowboy casey did and use the hose clamp which is how the current one attaches.

looks like I would need something like this one?
Dixon Valve PPF150 Polypropylene Type F Cam and Groove Fitting, 1-1/2 Scientific

I'm pretty sure everything is 1.5". If I got one of those I guess I could unscrew the fitting that is there and replace it with the new one then the hose just clamps on?

Nifty. I don't know anything about discharge hoses except the cheezy, cheap flat one I have that is held on with a hose clamp. How nice to have a nice snappy clampy thing. (I will only use the most technical of terms.)

*edit*
I'm just going to keep editing this post. This time to add a *duh*.

If I buy the 1.5" piece I just linked to I'll obviously have to get a smaller hose. Like this... Anderson Pump Scientific

I

Mine is attached to a screwed in hose fitting on my filter. I'm pretty sure the filter has female threads...so if I wanted to screw something directly to the filter it would have to be a male fitting of some sort that I could then attach one of the nicer hoses to.
[.....]
I'm pretty sure everything is 1.5". If I got one of those I guess I could unscrew the fitting that is there and replace it with the new one then the hose just clamps on?
[/url]

I have an Intex sand Filter, and the backwash outlet is male threaded... but I believe you are correct that it's 1.5".... that is the standard for Intex fittings, hoses, etc.

You know, beens, I was wondering about the set-up for the chief's hose myself. Then I kept reading and... there was the answer....

Thanks... :colors:

Here are pictures of the hose and fittings I use for backwash. The cost of the hose and adapters totaled about $40, and it looks like it will last forever.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Collect water for testing in a squirt bottle and then dispense into the various tests from there. A squirt bottle with a very narrow hole is ideal, something like a hair color applicator bottle, but even a mustard/ketchup dispensor bottle will make things simpler.

Or the one you got from the pool store that you're never taking back there for testing :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I'm a newbie here, but I thought I'd share this great way to store skimmer and brush poles. My carpenter put 3" PVC pipe at an angle going under my deck. It's easy to slide the poles into and they're almost out of sight, but it's easy to put them in and take them out. Make sure the pipe is a little longer than the pole so the end of the pole so want get hooked on the back lip of the pipe. You can also use downspouts, which are lighter and maybe a little cheaper.
ed83b4ca8200487361138d106495bd2b.jpg

c215176f78422a872638df3d3749ebd9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This tread should be renamed "Tips & Tricks", and it should be a sticky somewhere at the top of a forum heading. I don't know if it should be in "just getting started" "TFP Method" or other, but it should definitely be a sticky.

The cheapest and BEST skimmer socks yet! And they only cost $6 per 100. Everybody should be using these!

Amazon.com: Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Office Products

I order a bag of 100 of these. They work great. I do put a 3 inch square piece of tile in the bottom of the basket to weight it down. Highly recommend these due to the low price and how well they work.

I order a bag of 100 of these. They work great. I do put a 3 inch square piece of tile in the bottom of the basket to weight it down. Highly recommend these due to the low price and how well they work.

If you put something to weight it down that negates one of the best features, the fact that you just pull them out and toss them without having to touch what's in there. That is unless you put a new piece of tile in each time.

Excellent point. I'll stop using the weight.

Now that the trees near my pool have just completed dropping their leaves. I don't think I'll need to change the hairnet very often, maybe every couple of weeks, or probably longer.

Reactions: AusPhil

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support