Tips and Tricks

Re: A couple of tips I thought everybody knew. Anybody got some

I haven't made my way through the entire thread yet but a couple things that helped me with starting this whole TFP process.
- Got a 5 quart measuring bucket from Lowes. Has 7 different lines starting at about 32oz and going up to 152oz: made measuring Muriatic Acid and Chlorine very easy and presice

- One of those skimmer socks holds about 43oz of CYA powder. Tied it off, hung some string around it and used a 10lb ankle weight to hold it in place right in front of the return line

before I got my test kit: kept 5 used gallons of bleach then got a 5 gallon jug of liquid chlorine 12.5% from the pool store and filled the empty bleach jugs. Made the inital adding of 1gallon per day very easy.

-Don't keep your pool stuff (tools/plugs/attachments) in the same deck box as the chemicals. I can't believe how fast everything rusted or corroded.
-If thunderstorms are predicted while I'm going to be away from the house, I switch to the bottom drain to keep the skimmer from clogging solid with tree debris and starving the pump
-Watch the pool store close your pool once, then buy a the blower yourself for the same price as the closing cost for the future years

Re: A couple of tips I thought everybody knew. Anybody got

I use a butterfly net from the $1 bin at Target to clean out my skimmer before sticking my hand in. Had to come up with something after too many bee stings and spider bites lol

I use that same butterfly net from Target (same as you) and place a skimmer sock over it. I then lounge on my flotation device and skim out the smaller things in the pool, like ants or smaller gnats that would just go right through the netting on the butterfly net. I haven't found any other kind of net that can remove these smaller bugs.

Reactions: SuzfromTexas

Collect water for testing in a squirt bottle and then dispense into the various tests from there. A squirt bottle with a very narrow hole is ideal, something like a hair color applicator bottle, but even a mustard/ketchup dispensor bottle will make things simpler.

I use the water bottle that Leslies supplied me in my pre TFP days. At least it is good for something..

I've been looking for this thread for a few weeks. I'm going to mark it for quick referal. I love the polarized glasses tip.
My contributions may be repeats but they're things I picked up.
Snorkle gear, it saves a lot of time and helps with being able to see, for example when removing the light from the niche. A little spit on the inside of lense prevents fog up.
Also, I have a safety cover which seems to funnel grass into the pool when closed. Aside from having a bagging lawn mower, I stuff some pool noodles into the gaps on the end. It doesn't stop it all, but it prevents a good deal.

I didn't read this entire thread, so some of this might be mentioned already:

Get 2 poles, one for the skimmer and one for the brush, so you don't have to keep changing attachments.

Sit inside at a table after getting a sample, and use a plastic swizzle stick to mix for your testing (if you don't have a speed stir). Rinse between samples, and don't put it in until you have your volume measured, or you will get a smaller sample due to its deplacement.

I use Simple Green to clean the tile of oily build ups and sun tan lotions. I just swim around the pool with a noodle and use a spray bottle applying it full strength. Then I jump into the deep end a few times to make some waves to rinse it off. If really dirty, use a sponge after applying, and then rinse. Nice and shiny after doing this, and I haven't seen any ill effects on water chemistry using Simple Green. You can get a big bottle of it at Sams, usually with a spray bottle included, for about $9.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re:

Okay, I have read all 150 posts and enjoyed the time i spent doing it. I have always said experience is the best teacher. learning from someone elses mistakes is the best..
My biggest tip.. spend the bucks to get a waterproof cover for your cell phone. Mine cost nearly a hundred bucks online but I got one for my DW also (just in case). We both love them. no worries about dropping on floor or in pool.. I had a lot of people over and when the left I was beat.. we got into the spa and kinda died a little. an hour or so later when i got out i noticed my cell phone in the back pocket of my trunks.. no problem..
If you need to use your hose for a siphon.. get one of those cheap on off valves for your hose and put it between hose and bib. turn on water and hold end of hose up until all airbubbles are gone and put it into the pool with the end at the level you want the water to be drained to, then go turn off the valve then the bib. unscrew the valve from the bib and carry it to a point below the level of the pool water and open the valve. To increase flow you can take the valve off the end of the hose.
Flippers, snorkel, mask.. I didn't realize I could justify their cost as pool care products.. kewl..
Final tip... hire people to do the heavy work. I didn't do that but the side effect was that I am in better shape than I have been in twenty years (mentally and physically) ..I have shoveled (sometimes three times) and spread nearly 25 tons of granite. but now the to do list has blossomed.

How to take off a pool cover with a lot of leaves.
Grab your pool brush and on the side of the cover at the top end of where the cover will be rolled onto the spool. Press the side with your brush to allow water to flow over the cover, you may also need to do this on the other side..Brush the water over the cover. Now when rolling up the cover the leaves and debree will remain on the cover as you roll. Just before the cover is entirely removed from the pool scope up the leaves before they drop into the pool.

I'm trying to figure out a way to remove a solar cover from a round AG pool easily. I guess cutting into sections is the best way i've read about so far. Guess i'll have to try that this year.

Don't buy any kind of overpriced cap or fancy cleaning stand for your SWG cell! Just cover one end with a couple strips of duct tape, mix up a little bit of acid+water, dump it into the cell, wait, dump it into the pool. Repeat if necessary!

Don't buy any kind of overpriced cap or fancy cleaning stand for your SWG cell! Just cover one end with a couple strips of duct tape, mix up a little bit of acid+water, dump it into the cell, wait, dump it into the pool. Repeat if necessary!
Actually a rubber band and some plastic wrap is quicker and easier.

- - - Updated - - -

I went through a few of those cheap vinyl backwash hoses before I discovered a high quality trash pump discharge hose could be had for about $60. I added some cam-lock fittings and now it just snaps on and off, and will last forever.

Cheap pool accessories I have found useful:

To keep mice and other critters out of your skimmer, install a frog log or two...they work great!
FrogLog

1 Gal Paint strainers from Home Depot for skimmer socks:
Paint Strainer

Place to hang poles and hoses on fence:
Accessory Hook

Tired of skimming pollen strands and leaves 3 times a day? Worth every penny:
Poolskim

Oh wow! How am I just now finding this thread?! What great ideas. I will have to try a frog log! We are always getting critters! And I've never heard of a pool skim. I'm going to check my brother in laws cost for that. We have lots of trees and now that the pool is sparkling, I notice that stuff a lot more - teehee! I'm going to go back and read al of these posts.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support