Timer to control pump only, or SWG and Heat pump as well?

codon1

Jul 5, 2022
Canada
Hi all, new to TFP. Tried searching the forums for the answer to this question, but couldn't find it. I have a 1.5 HP Hayward pump, Heat Pump and SWG, all on separate circuits. Currently I have no timer and the setup runs 24/7. Looking to put in a timer for energy savings. Both the SWG and Heat Pump seem to be able to sense "no flow" and will stop themselves if I manually turn off just the pump. Now I need to decide if I get a single-circuit timer to control just the pump and rely on the heat pump and SWG auto-sensing to also stop when the pump is off, or, get a much more expensive 3-circuit timer to control all three circuits at once. What is recommended? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP.

I am going to assume you have a Hayward Aquarite SWG. The Aquarite Installation manual says:

Wire the Aqua Rite to the LOAD SIDE of the filter pump timer. It is very important that the Aqua Rite is powered only when the pump is running.

Wow thanks for the quick answer! My SWG is an Astral E25, and with your guidance, I was able to find the same kind of statement in the manual: "This Salt Chlorine Generator power supply must be connected to the same source power supply as the circulating pump provides water flow to the cell. Any isolation switch, time clock or control that operates the circulating pump must simultaneously operate the Salt Chlorine Generator control."

Any guidance for the heat pump? Is it best practice to also wire it to the timer, or simply rely on the flow sensor?

Any guidance for the heat pump? Is it best practice to also wire it to the timer, or simply rely on the flow sensor?

First, heaters us a pressure switch and not a flow switch. You can have the pump turn off and there still be water pressure in the pipes that keeps the heater on. So it is best to turn off power to the heater when the pump is off.

Heat pumps do not usually require a cool down before water flow is shut off but I woudl review the HP manual.

Thanks ajw22. Really appreciate it. My Heat Pump is a Hayward HP50CL, and when I turn off the pool pump, the display shows "E03" which, according to the manual, is the flow sensor. The unit also has error codes for high and low pressure. I can confirm that when the pump is off, the heater and compressor will in fact automatically turn themselves off. Ideally they should all be wired to the timer together, but the SWG and pump are 120v, and the HP is 240V and 3-circuit timers are much, much more expensive than the one I have my eye on (which was also recommended here).

My HP manual: https://www.hayward-pool.ca/assets/documents/poolscanada/pdf/manuals/HP50CL-manual.pdf
The timer I would like: https://www.amazon.com/DEWENWILS-Outdoor-Wireless-Controller-Compatible/dp/B07PP2KNNH

I do not believe all three could be wired into that timer, but the pump and SWG can. Leaving the heat pump to rely on its flow sensor. Does this make sense? I will have a professional electrician do the work, but I need to purchase the timer beforehand and the electrician in question isn't a pool equipment expert like this community is... so trying to make an informed decision with your help.

Thanks so much

The unit also has error codes for high and low pressure.

The low and high pressure error codes have to do with refrigerant pressures, not water pressure.

I do not believe all three could be wired into that timer, but the pump and SWG can. Leaving the heat pump to rely on its flow sensor. Does this make sense?

Yes.

Note that you can wire the HP remote control wire through your timer relay to turn it on and off and not need to control the 240 volt lines.

1657044993033.png

I sent an email to Hayward support and got this reply : "You are correct, you don't need to put your heat pump on a timer - when the pump is off, the heat pump is not allowed to operate as it's internal flow sensor will prevent it from turning on due to the lack of water flow."

I sent an email to Hayward support and got this reply : "You are correct, you don't need to put your heat pump on a timer - when the pump is off, the heat pump is not allowed to operate as it's internal flow sensor will prevent it from turning on due to the lack of water flow."

I agree with Hayward support you don't NEED to have the HP on a timer.

I said it is BEST to put the HP on a timer in case the internal flow sensor fails as they are known to do.

Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones and not like this member...

This is what happens when a heater runs with now ater flow...

pipes-1-jpg.418449

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.