time to upgrade

robman

Dec 3, 2020
Oakland, CA
H iI am new to this site and have enjoyed what I've read so far. I live in Oakland, CA and recently moved into a home with an outdoor in ground pool. It has a pentair intelliflo VS pump as well as a pentair booster pump which just died. We mostly use solar for heat and the panels are on top of the garage. The gas heater, an old teledyne Laars XL2 is also dead. My father, who had owned this house, had built a structure around the equipment which I have removed and I am hoping to move some of the equipment under the staircase 6 feet away. So questions--with the variable speed pump, do I still need the booster pump for the pool sweep? (I did read some info on this and it seems the consensus is get rid of the booster pump and get a robotic cleaner--I may do that.) The filter is a pentair clean and clear with 4 paper filters (large). I'd like to put this under the stairs if possible. And the heater is now pretty far out into the yard and I'd like to get it as close to the garage (wood wall) as possible. We rarely use the heater but I would like one that has closer distances to combustibles, especially at the rear. A local pool store told me that a heat pump would not work well here because it would be in the shade. Any recommendations for heaters? I'd also like to move the intelliflo under the stairs. Is all this kosher?

Thanks

Rob

H iI am new to this site and have enjoyed what I've read so far. I live in Oakland, CA and recently moved into a home with an outdoor in ground pool. It has a pentair intelliflo VS pump as well as a pentair booster pump which just died. We mostly use solar for heat and the panels are on top of the garage. The gas heater, an old teledyne Laars XL2 is also dead. My father, who had owned this house, had built a structure around the equipment which I have removed and ...

Rob, welcome to TFP.

I am hoping to move some of the equipment under the staircase 6 feet away.

I would not recommend putting pool equipment under a staircase. But then I need to see pics of the area.

You need to be able to stand and move around the pool equipment. And you nee to be able to lift the filter cover high to get it open. The area around pool equipment can get very wet and needs to drain well. And you don;t want the equipment in a damp area that can get mold, mildew or corrosion. Read...

So questions--with the variable speed pump, do I still need the booster pump for the pool sweep? (I did read some info on this and it seems the consensus is get rid of the booster pump and get a robotic cleaner--I may do that.)

What manufacturer and model is your pool sweep? A booster pump may be required for the optimum operation of the cleaner.

Getting a robot cleaner is a good option.

The filter is a pentair clean and clear with 4 paper filters (large). I'd like to put this under the stairs if possible.

See my comments above about needing enough headroom to open the filter.

And the heater is now pretty far out into the yard and I'd like to get it as close to the garage (wood wall) as possible. We rarely use the heater but I would like one that has closer distances to combustibles, especially at the rear.

See pages 7-9 for clearances on the Raypak pool heaters - http://cdn.globalimageserver.com/FetchDocument.aspx?ID=c404f1c5-ac50-4209-9457-56246d010b20

See pages 16-18 for clearances on the Pentair Mastertemp heater - https://www.pentair.com/content/dam.../heaters/Manual-MasterTemp-472592-English.pdf

Will it be a problem relocating the NG line?

A local pool store told me that a heat pump would not work well here because it would be in the shade. Any recommendations for heaters?

How many gallons is your pool?

Do you have a spa?

Pentair has a Heat Pump Calculator to determine the appropriate size Heat Pump for your location. Pentair seems to do honest calculations based on the physics and efficiencies of each type of pump and energy source.

To get the most accurate cost comparison you should change the default electric kwh, natural gas price, and propane price to actual prices in your area.

I'd also like to move the intelliflo under the stairs. Is all this kosher?

See comments above about the stairs location.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.