Time for new pump for above ground

Stephen882

Jun 8, 2018
empire
In the market for a new pump this season. Have always had a single stage 1.5hp. Pool is an above ground with approximately 26,000 gallons. Is an vs pump really worth the money. What do you recommend 1 or 2 stage or vs pump.

If you can’t afford a vsp a 2 speed is still an improvement over a single speed.
Not sure the electric rates where you live but both are much more affordable to operate than a single speed. Many utilities offer rebates on vsp’s. So be sure to check before comparing prices.

From what I read that law didn’t include above ground pools. Did I read right?
Not specifically. Only if they fall in the low HHP realm -- Some manufactures will still have smaller single speed or 2-speed pool pumps that have a HHP below .711 and meet the energy standards. These small single speed pumps may have higher HP motors on them but have smaller hydraulic impellers that set the pump at a HHP of .711 or less.

Last year my 1.5 hp pump died & was to be replaced under warranty- I was hoping with the new regulations that meant I would receive a 2 speed pump as they were replacing it with a newer model.
Nope- got a shiny new 1.5hp single speed. When I went to pick it up the whole store was full of them, stacked to the ceiling. I asked about the regulation & no one had heard of it. My pool store (where my pool was purchased) doesn’t even carry anything but single speed pumps. Apparently it depends on your corner of the world. In Memphis they’re oblivious.
That said, if I was buying new I would want to go with a 2speed or vsp even if a single speed was available.

How do you chlorinate your pool?

Last year my 1.5 hp pump died & was to be replaced under warranty- I was hoping with the new regulations that meant I would receive a 2 speed pump as they were replacing it with a newer model.
Nope- got a shiny new 1.5hp single speed. When I went to pick it up the whole store was full of them, stacked to the ceiling. I asked about the regulation & no one had heard of it. My pool store (where my pool was purchased) doesn’t even carry anything but single speed pumps. Apparently it depends on your corner of the world. In Memphis they’re oblivious.
That said, if I was buying new I would want to go with a 2speed or vsp even if a single speed was available.

How do you chlorinate your pool?
I use liquid chlorine with a stenner pump

If you can’t afford a vsp a 2 speed is still an improvement over a single speed.
Not sure the electric rates where you live but both are much more affordable to operate than a single speed. Many utilities offer rebates on vsp’s. So be sure to check before comparing prices.
The 2 stage pumps I have looked at so far looks like you have to go manually switch between the two. Is that correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You never will need to. Like I said, the 3 hp will use less electricity and will be quieter to move the same amount of water.

My pool is a 6000 gallon fiberglass pool. I have an Intelliflo VS. It is 3.7 hp. It has never been run above 3000 rpm, and I limit the rpm to 2500 rpm. Under normal operations, it runs at 1500 rpm.

If the 1.5 hp pump is half the price, I would get that. But I doubt it is. But up to you.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.