Tile separation above waterline?

marcgr

Bronze Supporter
Oct 4, 2015
Austin, TX
A bunch of porcelain tiles have separated from above the waterline in my faux infinity edge pool. What’s the best way to repair? Marine epoxy? Thinset? Do I need to grind out the old thinset first?

Waterline is usually around the 3rd tile down. Pool is 6 years old. We were in the big Texas freeze but we were able to keep our pumps going so it never froze. I have been following TFP since the pool was new and calcium is always around 300. I can see the mesh backing of the tile is still on the pool wall, it has separated from the tile.

Attachments

• DD2F5C80-C495-4AE8-ACB5-7707CFC31170.jpeg
    DD2F5C80-C495-4AE8-ACB5-7707CFC31170.jpeg
    533.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 970ED906-E945-4BC2-B900-E8A3239FD617.jpeg
    970ED906-E945-4BC2-B900-E8A3239FD617.jpeg
    895.6 KB · Views: 20
It depends.. Was a waterproof layer used, if so you do not want to break or take off that layer or if you do it need to be reinstalled along with the other layers below..

If it were me I would use Mapei Granirapid to reinstall those tiles but it will take some prep work.. not sure but you probably want to go down to the concrete shell and go up from there.. I do not think you will be able to stop at the waterproof layer Step#3 if a waterproof layer was used..

I attached the complete document that has all the products that "may" be used, you pick one from each group..

this is step #4 below
Lowes ordering granirapid-system
1401223 50 lbs grey model number
1401408 2 gallon model number

1622463369504.png

Attachments

• OGT-Pool-Water-Feature-Installation.pdf
    809 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: marcgr and jonpcar
It depends.. Was a waterproof layer used, if so you do not want to break or take off that layer or if you do it need to be reinstalled along with the other layers below..

If it were me I would use Mapei Granirapid to reinstall those tiles but it will take some prep work.. not sure but you probably want to go down to the concrete shell and go up from there.. I do not think you will be able to stop at the waterproof layer Step#3 if a waterproof layer was used..

I attached the complete document that has all the products that "may" be used, you pick one from each group..

this is step #4 below

View attachment 339621

this is step #4 below

View attachment 339621
I decided to try an epoxy pool repair stick (putty) first, thinking that if it didn’t work I could grind it out and start again. So far it has worked. I just used an amount the size of a walnut and set as many tiles as I could during the open time, then waited for it to cure completely and repeat until the job was done. Then I matched the grout at the tile store and grouted it. I did that a little at a time too because any waves were washing it out of the gap. But in the end it has held up through -15F temperatures this winter with no separation and it looks original.

Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.