Tile leveling in new pool build. Is this done wrong?

From now on EVERY contact you have with them is in WRITING. Go back to write to them about your concerns so they are on "record". I hope you don't need it but ..................might as well make sure you have it just in case.

Reactions: Scamp
I think they can chisel around the exposed rebar so the cuts will be buried in the cement patch put over the holes.

The other voids should also be patched with cement. Rubbery caulking is not what should be used in a crack.

I would try and get an expert set of eyes looking at the shell and repairs and tell you what they think. It will be your expert for advice and you will need to pay for it. It should not cost more then a few hours to a day by the expert.

Wow. Where in TX are you? We used an engineer out of garland for about $1000 for our build since we are on top of a 15' retaining wall. PM me if you need their info.

I would not pay another dime to that PB until then.

Sloppy concrete work overall. The rebar needs to be opened up around it and cut out then patched. The hairline cracks are normal all concrete pools have them keeping shell wet while drying helps the most. The void in the back needs to be cleaned up of loose material and then filled and smoothed. The pool is short a row of tile these guys haven't tiled a pool before it seems. Need a row under it to completely cover the throat opening when that's tiled

We were able to meet with our builder today and for the tile issues he has agreed to remove the bottom row of the ledger stone and the wall of glass tile below and fix the tile alignment and cut new stone for the bottom row to reinstall.
For the skimmer area-he said he was not done with tile there yet and would be essentially framing the skimmer mouth with tile. I looked through posts and did catch an image that also has this framing approach. But does this address the functional purpose of the tile if the additional row is just in this one area and not all the way around the pool sides?

But does this address the functional purpose of the tile if the additional row is just in this one area and not all the way around the pool sides?

No. Unacceptable.

Back with another holy cow not another thing question. This related to plumbing. As you’ll note from the pictures there are two return lines plumbed into the sun ledge area. Post shotcrete picture, one is completely below the concrete and the other barely hanging in there above it. Builder points at shotcrete and said that was their error but he can correct this by cutting the pipe and adding a 90 degree piece of pipe to raise it to its proper location. Sounds simple enough. C16AF67D-2146-4F54-AC22-916E8575021C.jpegD619F23A-6400-4688-8A33-424D12DACC87.jpegWhat am I missing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What a bunch of clowns. Nobody is cheking the other guys work. Where was the site foreman prior to the shoot? That was obvious. They can chip a little and swimg them up but un necessary. Is this a larger outfit that just subs all the work out

What a bunch of clowns. Nobody is cheking the other guys work. Where was the site foreman prior to the shoot? That was obvious. They can chip a little and swimg them up but un necessary. Is this a larger outfit that just subs all the work out
It is not. We actually went with a smaller local company and one of the benefits, we thought and they pitched, was that they didn’t sub out all the work so quality control would be higher. At this point I’m just trying to identify issues to understand what’s fixable now and what is beyond fixing and if those are large enough issues that I should go down a legal path. Which obviously I’d like to avoid.

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
I agree that's the last resort it gets ugly and your hanging half finished. Wheres the owner or head guy in all this are they actually on site at all or just employees
The owner has been onsite, even hands on working with his guys. He was here helping put in the plumbing and tiling which are identified issues. Unfortunately our due diligence with this company, it’s reputation, and references before we hired seems to be falsified is many ways now that we are digging even deeper.
They have enough of our money that financially it would make sense to get them to complete. I started to wonder if an option, though additional cost to us, would be to find an experienced pool general contractor that could micromanage the mess out of this builder through the rest of the build to ensure the rest is done right. Is there such a thing as this?

There is.... its construction management that's what I do. We have a hands on crew that does all phases and we do outdoor/pools as well. Not very commom tho we have a niche business model. We also do inspections on others work booboos and provide engineering or the fix for them. Alot of engineers who stamp pools know there way around but one needs experience in finisj work to really be able to oversee a whole job. Gotta know as much as everyone on the job combined including the plumbers and electricians.

Reactions: bdavis466
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.