Tile and grout/caulking apart

Ya-Man

Gold Supporter
Jun 14, 2020
Fuquay-Varina, NC
Need help with trying to fix an issue where my flexible tile is needing some repair. We just bought the house so we are new pool owners. It looks like repairs have been performed in this area in the past. The previous owners are not willing to provide help (karma). What should I use to fix this issue?
It is coming apart from the backside structure and pulling apart from the rest of the flexible tiling right at a 90 degree area. Warranty is not transferable to me on this 6 year old fiberglass pool. The situation is in a waterfall area from a suntan pool (kiddie pool) to the big pool. Pool installer recommended Novagard adhesive products.Pool 2 tile.JPG

Attachments

• Pool 1 Tile.JPG
    Pool 1 Tile.JPG
    632.2 KB · Views: 9
Give us some wider pics of the area.

My guess is that epoxy grout was not used. Grout on the edge of a waterfall will erode from the water flow much the way the Grand Canyon was created.

Novaguard may work for a while or submersible thinset. But you need to maintain the integrity of the grout at the edge or water will get behind the tile and loosen the tile bond.

I see a bunch of problems with that tiled spillover. I see cracks that are probably letting water get behind the tiles and erode the thinset. A lot of the edges have been eroded. I doubt the best materials were used. You can patch it and fix problems as they pop up. For a long term fix the spillover needs to be stripped and retiled with better materials.

Thinset or epoxy grout wont work. You need special adhesive for that type of material, im guessing like PVC. Probably a good time to invest in real glass tile and make it Bling Bling!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.