Thread of Disgust.

You are cute now BattleOfYakima! You would think a trusted brand as Kraft foods would be OK. Uh. They aren't. Kellogg's and Cambell's aren't much better. But where does it stop? When do you just throw your hands up?! Well, sawdust is one. Kellogg's, eh.. they are VERY POLITICAL! I don't like that.
Cambell's, hmmmmm what to say... their 'meat' in their soups and 'dinner's aren't so great, if you know what I mean.

It is so hard to cook for my family and such. It is better with companies that offer convenience. The problem is, what does that cost me?
This is coming from a 22 year vegetarian (not disassociative Vegan!) and a rib eating husband!

I believe in food business! MAJOR business, such as Amy's! I love Amy's foods for a quick meal!

Kraft or other supermarket brands of shredded cheese. They have the FDA allowed sawdust, oh so sorry... cellulose. :D

(I THOUGHT EVERYONE KNEW?!?! Especially feeding small children!!!!) Nevermind, I'm being an Armchair Quarterback. Sorry!

If the worst thing my kids stick in their mouth today is cellulose laced grated cheese then it's been a great day! Lol
My kids will pick up anything they've dropped on the floor or ground and eat it, makes me cringe. Lol

But to be honest, I get my grated cheese ground for me at my local mom&pop deli from mixed 50/50 hard block Parmesan and Romano. My favorite part is that thin slice they couldn't grate that gets thrown in the bag.

well, I was only thinking of the cellulose of today, (not when we were young and didn't have international trade and could get our wood chips out west... not in South America with formaldehyde, pressure treated wood chemicals lead, charcoal, etc which is NOT regulated or tested with our FDA). Just saying. If you have children, just call Kraft, I'm sure they will enlighten.

Since you brought up propane, I saw something awesome yesterday. Our food giant grocery store had an ace hardware section put in sometime last year. I saw their banner that said they fill 20lb propane tanks for $9.99. That's dirt cheap!

It all stops with phone calls and lots of them AND not buying that product any more. The one that I really remember is when Pepsi tried to sell 8 cans instead of 12. Now they did cut the cost some BUT when you did the math they were charging more per can so......I called and complained AND did not buy the 8. I found stores that still had the 12s. The 8 did not last long.

I wish they would just charge a little more instead of putting less in the package. Okay you need to make money so raise the price a bit! I plan my meals on what I am used to getting and you really mess me up when you give less!

Kim:kim: (going to read shredded cheese packages today :shock: I don't buy them so had NO idea!)

I have always noticed there is something not quite the same with packaged grated cheese. I figured it was that "something" that kept it from clumping together.

Being the connoisseur of Nachos that I am...I notice these things straight away. :chef:

It's just the hard cheeses like Parmesan and Romano that add cellulose, and that's if you buy the powdered stuff in the shaker. You can get shredded parmesan in a bag that doesn't have cellulose added.

I usually buy store brand shredded cheese and I griped alot when they started to use the smaller bag, because I couldn't get my hand out after grabbing a handfull. If they are going to use a smaller bag the need to re-orient it so the opening is on the long side!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry if I came off preachy, but yeah shredded cheese was SUCH a disappointment to me. I'm all about the lazy. Ugh, and eggs that are at the supermarket 'fresh' are at least a half a month old. This is the thread of disgust. I'm not usually Debbie Downer... until it affects my foods.

Oh and Patrick, yeah it will be ON if they keep messing with my bleach.

EDIT: Hate to say zea3, but kraft cheddar varieties do have sawdust. I don't say cellulose because that is too PC. Call a duck a duck. On a side note, it is SO HARD to clean the cheese graters!

A small nylon bristled brush from the cleaning aisle works wonders for cleaning the inside and outside for the grater. It is kinda like a big toothbrush. Works great! Also, if I'm shredding something messy, I lightly oil it first, which seems to help. Next time I buy it won't be a box style one, but a flat one.

- - - Updated - - -

Truth be told, I'm also somewhat ambivalent about cellulose - I just don't like how the pre-shredded cheese doesn't taste as bright and fresh.

I've been witness to many science projects growing in my fridge.

LOL well that reminds me of opening fridges when I visited my friends at their off campus apartments. Who knew pizza could camouflage itself to look like bigfoot. Or that cottage cheese is sold in gallon jugs marked as Milk. Or that leftover fastfood... well actually it looked the same as it did when they bought it back in their freshman year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.