Thoughts on the Deep End - Reno

Bam Bam

Gold Supporter
Sep 14, 2019
Columbia, SC
My deep end is keeping me awake. I’m wondering why the renovated pool needs to maintain the 9’ deep end. The diving board will be removed. It was rarely used anyway - a visitor or two over the years. I don’t need to use so much water just because it’s been like that for 30 years.

If I were building a new pool it would be one shallow depth.

Does it make sense to anyone and cents to raise the deep end - I’m thinking to 4 ft? I would think it is possible to extend the drain through the 5 feet of added concrete to avoid installing a new one. This would also reduce the area needing to be plastered.

With a fat enough wallet anything is possible! Get a full chip out of the old plaster and talk to them about their plans to integrate the old shell with the new floor as far as rebar and bonding. You have the right idea about the main drain or you could do with out the main drain all together.

Your yard, your pool, your wallet=get what you want!!

Reactions: setsailsoon
I'm planning the same with my pool this winter. It is currently 8' deep and had a diving board in the past. When I'm in the pool everyone huddles into the shallow end which steeply goes towards the deep end which is hardly used. I'm planning on going about 5.5' deep by adding rebar and concrete to raise up the deep end.

Wow, I don't think anyone is going to get that kind of deal anywhere! Plaster is usually $5000-$10000 and I'm guessing the tile and raising depth would be commensurately more(?)

Just shows how different parts of the Country have different prices. I'm located down in Central Florida. Re-plasters seem to be pretty cheap down here. Range probably $2700 - $4000 for a quartz finish. However that is not for a full chip out. They just go over the old plaster if it mechanically sound.

I'm planning on doing the work myself this coming winter.

Last edited:
Do you have any details on how they will raise the depth in things like tying to the old shell and bonding?
From what I understand they epoxy rebar (12x12 grid) into the new position, chip up a small area of the existing gunite to expose the existing rebar so it can be bonded to the new rebar, 57 stone fill may be used to fill in the void to save on concrete depending on how shallow you are trying to go, floor drain is extend up as necessary, and concrete is poured.

Something like this: (This is a pool that just had the floor repaired and was only raised a couple inches, but going 2' shallower would be a similar concept.

IMG_1146.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe there is a lot to be said about a deep pool staying cooler/ warmer. You might consider leaving that extra depth just for that reason. Sounds like you will be going from the coolest pool in the neighborhood to the warmest....

Reactions: Chickinvic
I'd leave it 9' and spend that money on adding corner benches (or one long bench) in the deep end. Our deep end benches have made ALL the difference for us --- the whole pool gets used! My inlaws, a mile down the road, have a traditional pool with 9' deep end and just seating in the shallow end, and it's true that the deep end there is hardly used. Either way, I think it's a treat to dive down to the quiet depths when I want to!

Thanks all. There are corner benches which believe it or not I suggested removing as well. I must be a mean pool owner. The water depth issue was just a thought to reduce surface area maintenance and water consumption. In 20 years if I’m not wearing concrete shoes I guess I’ll have to do it all over. Better to look forward to resurfacing 9 feet than be 6 feet under!

• Haha
My first thought was: NO ONE USES THE CORNER BENCHES?! This blew me away. Then I wondered --- just what kind of corner benches are they? I've read that if they're small, then no one uses them. They need to seat two people to attract use, I think. Anyway, your corner benches are probably huge, so I'm just stunned. Everybody loves the benches here. Not just for sitting! I prefer to exit via the benches, and I like to prowl around the deep end and try to glide the little torpedo toy things onto the benches for sport. My 7yo and I enjoy this little competition.

One question: I'd be surprised if depth has anything to do with water consumption. Seems like water loss happens at the surface, and the surface has no idea how deep it is (except it might be warmer up there in a shallow pool...which means shallow pool loses more water?).

4' deep is very shallow, and I think would be a turn off for any potential future owners if that is of concern. It would be for us.

Yes, for me also. Not only that but in hotter climates the more shallow pools gets swampy feeling in the hottest part of summer. No thanks!

If people aren't in the deep end also, you don't have the right type of floats or floating chairs to folks to laze in there too. Drink in hand, floating on a simple noodle with my legs hanging yet not touching the floor of the pool is a lovely time...... but diving in is what I miss the most!

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.