Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I've done a ton of searching and haven't really found enough information to help me decide if my idea will work. Here's the deal....

I have a manual Pentair valve that allows me to control the flow of water from either the main floor drain or the skimmer. When we bought our house a month ago, the original owner had this valve set 50/50.

I have an IFCS and it seems to me that I would want all of the water being pulled from the main floor drain during the cleaning cycle. When in "Pool" mode (pump running but not the IFCS), it seems all flow should come from the skimmer rather than the main floor drain to get debris cleaned from the surface of the pool. I guess my first question is - does this make sense or should I just leave the valve at the 50/50 position all the time?

My second question (if my idea above makes sense) - can I add the Pentair Intellivalve actuator to my system and control it with my EasyTouch? If so, do I just plug a cable into the EasyTouch somewhere?

Finally, can I even add an Intellivalve actuator to my existing Pentair valve? Does it just bolt on top of the existing valve or does the existing valve need to be replaced?

Here is what it looks like:
IMG_4354.jpg

IMG_4355.jpg

Brian,

A valve actuator is just added on top of your existing valve.. I would use a standard actuator, but the new IntelliValve will work.. I just assume they cost more.

You would plug the actuator into the A or B valve port on the main EasyTouch board.

You would then need to set up a "Circuit" and assign that circuit to the new valve.

I am not sure yet how the EasyTouch is going to know that your IFCS is on or off.. Maybe it does not need to.. I assume that you have a set pump speed that you use when you want to run the IFCS.. If so, you must have a "circuit" for that speed.. You can just assign the same circuit to the new actuator.

So, when you tell the pump run to run at XXXX speed for your IFCS, the valve would automatically turn to the main drain only position.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks JIm

Yes, my EasyTouch has a "Clean" circuit. It just sets the pump speed to 2,600rpm. At that rpm, the IFCS heads pop up. The "Pool" circuit pump speed is 1,600rpm. I use that circuit for general filtration and the SWCG.

Do you think it makes sense to pull all the water from the main floor drain while cleaning or am I overthinking this? Also, when you mention a standard actuator, what does Pentair call that model? I may upgrade my EasyTouch to Intellicenter at some point but I'm not sure if that makes any difference as to which valve to use.

I may upgrade my EasyTouch to Intellicenter at some point but I'm not sure if that makes any difference as to which valve to use.

Pentair has yet to implement any Intelli for the IntelliValve after years of promises. The IntelliVakve operates identical to the dumb valve actuators.

The only difference is the two positions the actuator can move to can be set using external buttons on the IntelliValve and the cover needs to be unscrewed and cams adjusted for an actuator. But you typically only set the positions once.

Brian,

For my IFCS, I run my suction lines with the main 100% open and the skimmer only partially open, maybe 30%. I have individual valves on the main drain and skimmer, instead of a single 3 way valve. The system runs like this all the time, even at my low speed. I don't ever make adjustments to the suction valves.

If it were me, I would either leave your valve as is, or possibly reduce the skimmer flow by closing the skimmer side off a little bit, depending on how well the skimming action is working.

How well is the IFCS cleaning? Are you noticing excess dirt? Is the skimming action not good enough? Just curious what sparked wanting to automate the valve.

It's your pool and you should do what you want, but if it were me, I wouldn't add an actuator for that. And if anyone were going to go crazy with actuators it would be me. I have 7 at the moment. Can't think of anything else to automate yet, but I've got a few extra slots when I do. :LOL:

--Jeff

How well is the IFCS cleaning? Are you noticing excess dirt? Is the skimming action not good enough? Just curious what sparked wanting to automate the valve.
Hi Jeff

My IFCS works great! I haven't noticed any dirt anywhere and I only run the system for two hours a day (once every 12 hours) at 2,600rpm. Skimming works fine overall but sometimes I notice a few things floating on the surface. The reason I want to automate the valve is simply because it seems to me I'd want 100% of the water being drawn from the floor drain during the cleaning cycle for maximum cleaning and 100% from the skimmer at all other times for maximum skimming.

But you have a valid point - if the IFCS and skimmer are working, why add a valve? I guess I just want to maximum performance and I also like to geek out my stuff. I'm thinking of upgrading my panel from EasyTouch to IntelliCenter. I don't really have a great reason for doing that either other than having remote access is kind of cool and my EasyTouch remote is large and clunky.

Brian,

I have an EasyTouch and ScreenLogic and it does everything that I need. While I "want" a new IntelliCenter, I can't justify the cost as I have a simple pool and would really not gain anything of importance. I really wanted there to be some great advantage that I just had to have, but sadly for me, there is not. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim-

If I had ScreenLogic, I wouldn't upgrade my system either.
Add it. Find a Protocol Adapter (eBay typically has some used ones). Use a Wireless Access Point at your ET box and you can add SL without the Pentair wireless adapter. Cost should be less than $300 total. Less if you can find a cheaper PA.

I also like to geek out my stuff.

Totally understand! It definitely wouldn't hurt anything to add it. If you do, I would set the valve stops to prevent full closure of either side, just to prevent the pump running dry should either the main or a skimmer get blocked.

I think you want some skimming action during the times the IFCS is running. That way it can keep the surface clear and possibly keep debris from getting to the floor.

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update:
I went ahead and installed an Intellivalve actuator. It wasn't much more expensive than the "regular" actuator. It was easy to configure and connect to my EasyTouch system. Works as expected. Thanks again for the feedback!

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.