There is a knob on my return line to the pool, what is it?

miamicuse

May 26, 2019
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Hi all, still learning every day about the pool at a recently acquired home.

There is a plastic knob attached to an elbow along the 1.5" return line to the pool. What is this knob for? There is a wire in the middle of it. What is the purpose of this knob? My filter has a knob on top of the dome to bleed out air. Is this something similar?

The wire is not connected to anything It's just dangling. I have confirmed it's a wire - there are two metal conductors inside, kind of like a romex wire without a bare ground copper.

I have posted another thread today (long one with a complicated situation) and that one has many pictures of the pool equipment. It's a tedious one to read through but you can just browse the pictures.

Thread with pictures

So it may be some kind of a probe?

Fill out your signature and tell us about your pool, equipment, test kit, etc. See one of ours for an example.

Fill out your signature and tell us about your pool, equipment, test kit, etc. See one of ours for an example.

I wish I could. I have never owned a pool before and this is a property I just purchased. I don't even know what type of pool it is, or how much volume, also I do not see any labels on the pump, except the motor. I know the brown dome shaped filter is Hayward. So it will take a while for me to figure all this information out.

Feel the surface of the pool. If rough and feels like concrete, it is plaster. If slick and feels like plastic, it is vinyl. If it looks like a bathtub, it is fiberglass.
Volume. Measure the rough width and length. Measure the shallow end and deep end. Average the depths and come up with a volume.

Pump, take a picture of just it. Same with filter. Post them.

No doubt, its an old sensor of some sort, either tempurature of maybe an old flow sensor, that is no longer used with the original equipiment. Since it wasnt leaking, they just cut the wire instead of replacing the piece of plumbing that has the sensor in it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's a temperature sensor. If it isn't needed, and it isn't leaking, you have a couple a easy options. You can just leave it alone (my suggestion) or you can unscrew it and replace it with a plastic ¼" NPT plug. If it isn't leaking, I say just leave it alone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.