My next project in the meantime is fixing the suction side leak. I read the tfp instructions, and once again it worked like a charm. I did not feel like carrying a bucket to my pump so I turned on the hose and pointed it at the pump basket lid. After running water over it for a few minutes, the water level in the basket rose, then was just a bunch of bubbles, then was just a few small bubbles.
I tried some silicone lubricant (spray kind) which did not help. I've subsequently gone back to Local Pool Store and purchased a higher viscosity (more like grease paste) silicone lubricant. If that doesn't seal the gasket, the next step would be gasket replacement. THEN I'm done fixing the pool for awhile!