The right chlorine tablet

Aug 25, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I’ve recently discovered the difference between stabilized and non-stabilized chlorine. Most of what’s out there is stabilized, sun protected chlorine. What’s the best kind of non-stabilized chlorine that will not raise my CYA levels?

Well I’ve recently converted from SWCG to chlorine tablets. But the chlorine I’ve been using will slowly raise my CYA. I don’t have backwash capability, so liquid chlorine or Cal hypo are my only options? I’ve already got hard water. Will this be my new problem if I use Cal Hypo?

You do not want to use Cal Hypo. Unless you wish to drain every few months.

Why not use the SWCG? Best way to chlorinate here in the desert.

Your CH will skyrocket.

SWCG should not scale up. Means your pool water was not being properly managed in regards to CSI. I have never cleaned mine in 4 years. No scale.

I have this one:
http://www.poolweb.com/stenner-fixed-s45-100psi-1-4inch-15g-family?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgbji3sv22wIVC7XACh3ivg9gEAQYASABEgJewvD_BwE

For the fixed pumps, you'll need a timer to turn the pump on and off a few times per day. These will add about 1 oz of chlorine per minute. I run mine 3X/day for about 15 minutes each time.

I fill the tank about once per month with 10% Sodium Hypochlorite (liquid pool shock from Walmart or Home Depot). Your pool is much smaller so you may not need to run it as much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.