CYA/Chlorine

mkoons

Dec 23, 2022
Houston texas
Hello. I have a 17000 gallon chlorine pool in the Houston TX area. I used stabilized chlorine and shock for too long and it raised my CYA to 100ppm. Drain pool about a foot of water added fresh water and it only lowered it to 90 ppm. One pool store says I need to be below 80ppm and to keep lowering. The other PS says as long as your lower than 100 I’m good. Any thought? Also I switched over to unstable shock and that’s all I have been using since cya went up high. PS says it’s the same as using liquid chlorine. I add 1 pound of shock every 3 days and it keeps chlorine between 2-3 ppm. But I feel I need to use liquid chlorine as well

Recommend visiting pool school (over on left side of forums), investing in a good test kit, and leaning into the TFP method. The shock you're adding is likely CalHypo, right? It's raising your calcium which will eventually get high enough to put you in same bad situation that CYA has...)

Your FC is not high enough to maintain proper sanitation - you need to drain/replace water, or raise your FC significantly. FC minimum is 7 at 90 CYA, 10-12 target.

Reactions: IceShadow
Add liquid chlorine unless your CH is low enough that you can afford the CH added by Cal Hypo.

What is your testing method right now?

Hello. I have a 17000 gallon chlorine pool in the Houston TX area. I used stabilized chlorine and shock for too long and it raised my CYA to 100ppm. Drain pool about a foot of water added fresh water and it only lowered it to 90 ppm. One pool store says I need to be below 80ppm and to keep lowering. The other PS says as long as your lower than 100 I’m good. Any thought? Also I switched over to unstable shock and that’s all I have been using since cya went up high. PS says it’s the same as using liquid chlorine. I add 1 pound of shock every 3 days and it keeps chlorine between 2-3 ppm. But I feel I need to use liquid chlorine as well
Pool store lied to you if they said powdered “shock” is the same as liquid chlorine. It adds either CYA or calcium which both build up over time.

Thanks for the info. It is the Cal Hypo shock. Calcium levels are good right now but I’m switching over to liquid chlorine. Anybody have any recommendations on what liquid chlorine is the best? It seems like once you think one thing is all the same you find out there is 3 other brands that do different things better and worse. There is a pool store called pinch a penny
And they refill your chlorine container that you buy from them. I think it’s around 6 bucks a gallon

"Shock" is a pool industry term that is used to get a buyer's attention, as if it's some miracle cure, but it's not. It's just chlorine. Bags of shock, liquid shock, whatever, it's chlorine. They key is to understand what it's made of. Cal-Hypo being calcium & chlorine, Dichlor being chlorine with stabilizer, tablets being chlorine with stabilizer, and liquid chlorine (our #1 recommendation other than a SWG) which is primarily chlorine with water and sodium.

Before my SWG, I used liquid chlorine or Bravo bleach from HEB. When COVID drove costs through the roof, I started going to HD for their multi-packs of pool chlorine. But Walmart's Pool Essentials is another popular place to get liquid chlorine. If you go to the pool store and say I want liquid chlorine, it will probably say "Pool Shock" on the bottle. It's just chlorine.

Don't be "shocked" by all the terminology. Ha. Sorry, I couldn't resist. :poke:

Thanks for the info. It is the Cal Hypo shock. Calcium levels are good right now but I’m switching over to liquid chlorine. Anybody have any recommendations on what liquid chlorine is the best? It seems like once you think one thing is all the same you find out there is 3 other brands that do different things better and worse. There is a pool store called pinch a penny
And they refill your chlorine container that you buy from them. I think it’s around 6 bucks a gallon
The key with liquid is ‘fresh’. So long as it hasn’t been sitting around a while then whatever is cheapest is fine. $6/gallon isn’t awful these days at all. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.