Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi All,
I am new to the group. I went from taking care of my 30 x 60 pool myself for 4 years to having it completely renovated and turned into a salt water pool.
New plaster over a 75 year old cement pool (great shape no cracks) we added new skimmers and completely redid the cement decking and installed bluestone paving.
I had a company take care of it after the renovation and it was killing me $$. This year I have been taking care of it again by myself. I bought an Aquabot and I find I am using it more because I am out checking on it.
My goal is to use the least amount of chemicals as possible.
As of now its clear and the robot is doing its job, salt - chlorine is stable.. Shock now and then and we are good to go.
I look forward to learning more about the process from everyone.
Jen

Reactions: Jean23
Welcome to TFP BearMeadowFarm !!!! May we see the BMF pool ? It sounds fantabulous.

Wow, that's a nice pool! You'll find the TFP method to be very economical to maintain it, especially since you already have a SWG. My saltwater pool, although only half the size of yours, costs me $200-300 per year in consumables (salt, muriatic acid and stabilizer). And I only spent minutes per week on it.

There is one item you will need to procure though in order to follow our method -- an approved test kit for which we have two recommendations: Test Kits Compared. We simply find pool store testing to be too inaccurate upon which to make recommendations and most test kits lack the FAS-DPD test needed to measure free chlorine in excess of 10 ppm. This is essential to the TFP method.

Once you have a test kit in hand, post the following results and we can begin helping you keep that big freakin' pool sparkling!

FC
CC
CYA
TA
pH

While you're waiting for your kit to arrive, browse our Pool Care Basics and other Pool School articles to learn how our method differs from others and why it works so well.

And again, welcome to TFP!

Welcome to the forum, Jen :wave:

Really a beautiful pool. Please read "Pool Care Basics" up in Pool School. You will find that TFP teaches and relies upon precise testing to maintain pools.

Can you post a complete set of recent test results?

Reactions: BearMeadowFarm
full

Wow, that's a nice pool! You'll find the TFP method to be very economical to maintain it, especially since you already have a SWG. My saltwater pool, although only half the size of yours, costs me $200-300 per year in consumables (salt, muriatic acid and stabilizer). And I only spent minutes per week on it.

There is one item you will need to procure though in order to follow our method -- an approved test kit for which we have two recommendations: Test Kits Compared. We simply find pool store testing to be too inaccurate upon which to make recommendations and most test kits lack the FAS-DPD test needed to measure free chlorine in excess of 10 ppm. This is essential to the TFP method.

Once you have a test kit in hand, post the following results and we can begin helping you keep that big freakin' pool sparkling!

FC
CC
CYA
TA
pH

While you're waiting for your kit to arrive, browse our Pool Care Basics and other Pool School articles to learn how our method differs from others and why it works so well.

Thank you! I will order the test kit. I find that I am always low on stabilizer and Dang its expensive. Even the girl (pool wizard) at Lesslie said when the numbers came back that I was low but she said what they recommended was too much.

Nice looking pool. You mentioned you don’t like a lot of chemicals but what does Leslie’s say your FC is at? I ask because you mentioned you added shock every once in a while.

I can relate to adding CYA, I added 8 pds this year and it is expensive compared to 2 years ago!

Sounds like you have a rare pool store that helps vs selling stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice looking pool. You mentioned you don’t like a lot of chemicals but what does Leslie’s say your FC is at? I ask because you mentioned you added shock every once in a while.

I can relate to adding CYA, I added 8 pds this year and it is expensive compared to 2 years ago!

Sounds like you have a rare pool store that helps vs selling stuff.
I am not sure off the top of my head. If I recall they said something well over a dozen pounds, remember its 65K gallons. The tech said "that's too much. We went with 12.

Reactions: markayash
Welcome to the forum, Jen :wave:

Really a beautiful pool. Please read "Pool Care Basics" up in Pool School. You will find that TFP teaches and relies upon precise testing to maintain pools.

Can you post a complete set of recent test results?
I just ordered the Pro Kit. I will post the results. I am curious what they are. I am a bit of a hack so that is why I want to get better at the Pool Science.

Reactions: Newdude

FC
CC
CYA
TA
pH

Kit is ordered I went with the Pro

I just needed 20 lbs on a low 30k gallon pool from 0-70 CYA. 16 lbs for example would get you 30 and every spring I would need 50+ CYA with my old similarly sized pool.

Your kit will give you the straight and narrow as to where you are. PoolMath will get you where you want to be. Consult here first and we'll guide you :)

I just needed 20 lbs on a low 30k gallon pool from 0-70 CYA. 16 lbs for example would get you 30 and every spring I would need 50+ CYA with my old similarly sized pool.

Your kit will give you the straight and narrow as to where you are. PoolMath will get you where you want to be. Consult here first and we'll guide you :)
Thank you

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support