The ever evolving life of my AGP

My pump takes out about 5 gallons a minute, but does some sort of reset every 15 minutes or so and it doesn't go as fast. I have about 5,700 gallons in it currently, I think it will take about 24 hours to drain.

You could rent a 2nd pump through Home Depot to decrease time to empty your pool. You can also siphon if you have an old garden hose or two.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Probably a question I should know the answer to. But I'm looking for clarification. My new pool liner will be here Tuesday :) Memorial Day takes away the opportunity to replace it next weekend, so June 3rd is the day!

Completely unhelpful, but we're expecting our new pool liner to be delivered Tues 24th also! :D Hope your replacement goes quick and smooth!!

Reactions: Mdragger88 and kne
I was thinking about this too. My new pool is going in hopefully June 8th. My old pool had about 2ft of water gross from the tree falling in it May 6th. Too low to run a pump and keep it clean. But I didn’t want a pond mosquito breeding ground either. There were frogs in it already!

I pumped out most of it down to 3” this past weekend. Since it has a deep dish in the bottom I’m going to leave the water in the dish only to keep it down until the install date.

Our goals are different though as Im not worried about damage to the pool at this point just don’t want anything trying to fly away without water.

I saw a couple of videos with liner installs where instead of vacuuming out the last of the water they cut a shovel wide hole in the old liner and divert the last few inches through the bottom. Seemed to make quick work of gettin that last half inch out. That last bit of water will hold the liner down at least.

Good luck and post pics!

they cut a shovel wide hole in the old liner and divert the last few inches through the bottom. Seemed to make quick work of gettin that last half inch out
For you, @splashpad and @kne :

I did similar and the compacted soil from having a pool on it for 17 years really put up a fight. I broke out the post hole digger and it might as well have been a flooded sidewalk.

You wanna MESS with me ??? You wanna play rough ??? Say hello to my little power auger friend !!!!!!

I put six four foot holes in the ground, which promptly filled, and stayed filled just like the puddle. I had to walk away for a couple of days as it rained 36 hours in and the puddle grew. When my patience wore out I swept the puddle into one of the holes and pumped from the bottom of the hole.

So. No two pools are the same, nor is the ground below them, but just keep this in mind.

Last edited:
Yes, of course it will depend on the surrounding area and ground for sure! As well as distance to structures etc. In the video it was really just that last bit of water not inches so my wording was incorrect but I’m sure not everyone will have that option.

Reactions: Newdude
With some more thought now that the AM coffee is kicking in.......

When you get to the last bit of water, cut the liner in a way that you can trap the puddle and make it deeper on one side to keep using the pump. Sinch (sp?) The liner tighter and tighter until it's just a grocery bag size trap of water with a pump in it.

Cut away any excess as you go.

Reactions: kne and Decoy205
If you are wanting to reuse the place for the new pool/liner I would NOT be cutting or chopping any holes in the ground. I would also watch letting it just off out of the pool as it could erode the bottom of the pool ground. Dude was not going to use the same spot so it did not matter so auger away.

would also watch letting it just off out of the pool as it could erode the bottom of the pool ground
This was my main concern for them. I didn't need to reuse my bottom as we moved the pool. But they could harm theirs with the puddle and erosion that ensues when that water finds its own path out.

Great catch as always !! (y)

Reactions: kimkats
She is just sitting in the front entry way, waiting for next Friday. Of course we are in the 90s today, next weekend forecasted mid 70s. Here's to hoping it gets to the low 80s at least. Lots can change with the weather in 10 days. I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting a white liner.20220524_175226.jpg20220524_175112.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If u can - put it in the garage or another warm place next week so it gets acclimated & as stretchy as possible.
I have a shed, but I wasn't sure if there was a thing as TOO warm for too long. If not I'll have it put out there in the next couple days.

I have a shed, but I wasn't sure if there was a thing as TOO warm for too long. If not I'll have it put out there in the next couple days.
Mine stayed in my non temp controlled shop the whole time - on the day of install they laid it out in the sun 1st thing.

Reactions: kne
The weekend fun project has begun! I'm throwing the fun part in to convince myself. Of course the temp is dropping 10 deg between today and tomorrow, but such is life. Draining is going as planned and I should be on track to start installing the new liner tomorrow around 1 or 2, need to figure out water situation (well vs city) but going to post that question on the testing and balancing your water forum. Also, side note. I do not know why I took the time to save my solar cover over the winter. I've had it in the water the last few weeks and it is leaving plastic pieces behind. I need to get on board that there is another $50 - $100+ I need to spend on a cover, every season. I hate throwing stuff away though, it feels like a waste. Also x2 - WHY ARE THEY SO EXPENSIVE NOW?
1654193897552.png

1654193364449.png

Reactions: Newdude
I still have a big chunk of mine. It works awsome as a protective wrap for moving and storing stuff.
Dude. (Both in the sense of me being from California where everyone and everything is a dude, especially for emphasis, and, in your user name) my final lift of the cover out of the pool it just ripped. So it is definitely donezo 😬

The draining of the pool went faster than I calculated. It has about 4" left. I unplugged the pump and am now just siphoning slowly for the rest of the night. Tomorrow I will cut and pull the liner to create a smaller pool area for the pump like suggested earlier. I did not reinforce anything, but it's solid, I did a pretty good whatever is between a hip and shoulder check and no movement. It's a little breezy maybe but nothing that would blow a paper plate or napkin off the table. Mother Nature threw a 4.0 earthquake at us this morning, hopefully she doesn't have a freak unforecasted windstorm in store for us overnight. Because of recent wildfires the last few years, we get all the alerts for any significant winds so I feel ok with the pool for the night. Now if you hear of a freak tornado or hurricane in the Bay Area when you wake up Friday morning... Well then, I gambled and lost 😜

Last edited:
Well, the sump pump took a :poop: when I went to turn it on for the last 4" this morning. 1st the float which I then rigged with a zip-tie, then 2 hose failures. It was a hunk of rust POS anyway. Mr Kne wanted to buy a new one last night and I stupidly talked him out of it saying I could limp this one through, so off to the store he went this morning. Waiting for our gardener to leave so we can have hoses and cords across the yard and will finish draining soon. This new pump is lighter to lift in and out of the pool and should get more of the water out anyways. Fri-yay!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.