Silver Supporter
Jun 7, 2020
SEPA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Welp, time to read up and become familiar with the SLAM process. What's the general consensus on time to clear something like this up assuming SLAM is closely followed?20210901_183108.jpg20210901_190706.jpg

IF the water chemistry was managed pre storm, there should be no algae. There may be debris that needs to be filtered out.

Do raise the FC to 20% of CYA when safe to do so. Then start filtering. Your DE filter will clean it quick, but you will be busy cleaning the filter.

Reactions: Dave1096
full

full

Reactions: duade and Dave1096
Ha, thanks everyone. Gotta love this group.

I backwashed to get my water level back down to where it should be. I don't have any DE on hand, so I assume it's best to just not run my pump/filter until I can get more DE tomorrow?

Probably. If you can vac to waste tomorrow might be good. Add some liquid chlorine tonight if you can.

So far I've added DE back to my filter, got my pump going, added LC to bring me to shock level, added MA to bring PH within range. Slammed with meetings all day so won't have a chance to vacuum until tonight. For now it's time for Howie to get in there and earn his keep.

20210902_105151.jpg

Progress. Robot is now visible at the bottom of the deep end. This morning I couldn't see more than 2-3' down. I bumped my SWCG up to 100% (usually run around 40-45%) thinking that would help maintain SLAM, and my FC shot up 5 pts. Only .5 CC at last check. 20210902_151823.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
I doubt you need to get aggressive with chlorine. Just keep 20% of CYA for the FC level. This is a filtering exercise. Your DE filter should do quite well. Watch its pressure readings.

I doubt you need to get aggressive with chlorine. Just keep 20% of CYA for the FC level. This is a filtering exercise. Your DE filter should do quite well. Watch its pressure readings.
Thanks, Marty. Not knowing what I was dealing with I bumped FC up to SLAM, but now that I've seen little loss or presence of CC today I'll let it fall back to 20% of CYA. Appreciate the support.

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How quickly is the filter pressure rising?
Can you please keep track of how many times you have to clean & recharge the filter. I might be helping someone clear their swamp & this info will help.
Filter has been running for about 6-7 hrs now with a pressure increase of around 10% so far. I'll probably backwash later before calling it quits for the night. When I do I'll report back here on what my pressure looks like at that time and then again tomorrow morning after running overnight.

Reactions: Mike1162
IF the water chemistry was managed pre storm, there should be no algae. There may be debris that needs to be filtered out.

Do raise the FC to 20% of CYA when safe to do so. Then start filtering. Your DE filter will clean it quick, but you will be busy cleaning the filter.
This. We have some torrential downpours that flooded the pool with all sorts of Crud. For the most part, running the filter 24/7 for 2-3 days (and brushing every few hours) got it cleared right back up.

Also, I never had to SLAM to clear the muck so there's that.

Edit: Well, looks like the last time this happened, I was able to clear it in about 24 hours.

1630616724809.png

Last edited:
Reactions: B.lu and Dave1096
This. We have some torrential downpours that flooded the pool with all sorts of Crud. For the most part, running the filter 24/7 for 2-3 days (and brushing every few hours) got it cleared right back up.
Good to know, thanks. As a pool rookie it was pretty disconcerting to watch helplessly while a muddy river of rain runoff overtook my pool. I'm happy to learn today that the fix isn't as bad a I thought it might be.

Of course you should now look at how you can prevent that from happening in the future --

Of course you should now look at how you can prevent that from happening in the future --
I've been thinking about that. My neighbor's property sits higher than mine, and with all storms we've had this summer nothing has come close to causing an issue before. But last night we had an unprecedented amount of rain in a very short period of time...never seen anything like it here before even when Irene and Sandy came through. While I don't want to leave myself exposed I'm also not sure it's worth putting too much effort into safeguarding against the possibility we see something like that again. Famous last words, I know.

Here's some pictures from my area taken last night and today showing what we're dealing with. We got off easy with our minor pool issue.
FB_IMG_1630607649916.jpgFB_IMG_1630607656461.jpgFB_IMG_1630607662441.jpgFB_IMG_1630608938914.jpg
Screenshot_20210901-193358_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20210901-214050_Facebook.jpg

Epoch storms are something you are right on not spending much time in preventive measures. If typically heavy storms are not an issue, then you are good.

Reactions: Dave1096 and HeyEng
Sorry that happened to you. It was not a "pool newbie" mistake. Hopefully, that is only a 15 year storm for you. Did the PB ever give any indication that that could happen? Same builder here, and that never came up. I got lucky. Our pool sits high in the yard and everything flows away. Could you show where the water was coming from?

Howie sucks big time:LOL:

• Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.