TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We got considerable rain last night and the water level was above the skimmer opening, so I started draining. It was still pouring so I went inside and flopped on the couch to see what y'all were doing. 10 to 15 mins later I went back out to find the pump running dry.

20230429_125945.jpg

I always babysit it but this *one* time I didn't and got burned. And when i watch it, it takes 45 minutes to drain a little. :ROFLMAO:

I've found these new square Hayward skimmers to be much less forgiving and pretty much want to be 2/3 full with very little room for error. This time obviously was too low, but they don't skim well below 1/2 of the way up the faceplate. The older rectangle ones had a larger tolerance for water level.

They decreased the size if the weir opening and increased the throat width on the new ones.

Screenshot_20230429_131052_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230429_131221_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Decoy205
We got considerable rain last night and the water level was above the skimmer opening, so I started draining. It was still pouring so I went inside and flopped on the couch to see what y'all were doing. 10 to 15 mins later I went back out to find the pump running dry.

I always babysit it but this *one* time I didn't and got burned. And when watch it, it takes 45 minutes to drain a little. :ROFLMAO:

I've found these new square Hayward skimmers to be much less forgiving and pretty much want to be 2/3 full with very little room for error. This time obviously was too low, but they don't skim well below 1/2 of the way up the faceplate. The older rectangle ones had a larger tolerance for water level.

They decreased the size if the weir opening and increased the throat width on the new ones.
I recommend using a sump pump. Way better to lose $100 sump than a $1600 pump. YMMV...

Reactions: newdude
Timer ⏲️
Have I mentioned a timer ⏱️ ⏰????
Seriously, I overflowed my hot tub recently while sitting right next to it cuz I was deep in the threads 😂😂
Working Cartoon Network GIF

Have I mentioned a timer ⏱️ ⏰????
It was 10 to 15 mins and a timer wouldn't have helped because I would have set it for 25. :ROFLMAO:

It's no different than the 'watched pot never boils' thing. Then turn your back for *1* second and it's boiling over.

Way better to lose $100 sump than a $1600 pump
Oh yeah. I always babysit it but it was pouring. Just further proof how little time it may take to have a problem.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If you have the intelliflo running full speed, it can move 140 gpm, which is about 1 inch per 3.57 minutes for a 20 by 40 rectangle pool.
3K rpms was making a mess. I didn't go get the drain pipe and Macguyver'd 2 accordian style gutter downspout extenders to reach the grass from the pad. I left it on 1500 rpms and the flow was considerably less.

Reactions: JamesW
I remember seeing this somewhere in the terms and conditions and it seems relevant to remind you now.

Note: TFP takes no responsibility for distracting you while you use the site.

For example, if you forget about what you have cooking in the oven and it burns, don’t blame us.

If you are filling or draining your pool and it overflows or the pump runs dry, don’t blame us.

If you are driving and want to post a question about your pump and you crash because you were not paying attention, don’t blame us.

If you forget to eat and die of starvation, don’t blame us.

This place is a time SUCK for SURE. And that's a testament to the amazing community at large. Take a bow folks, you're really something.

Reactions: Ahultin and JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I will wait until the rain slows down to check my pool water level.

Alexa, set a 30 min pump timer."
That woulda been worse. I was only 15 mins tops. I was also flopped on the couch with the pool in full view, but TFP so lalalalalalalalal WHOOPS. :ROFLMAO:

I think I will wait until the rain slows down to check my pool water level.
We have a bunch more coming so I shut it off and will reassess when it stops Monday night.

If I filled now I'd be draining again.

We have a bunch more coming so I shut it off and will reassess when it stops Monday night.

If I filled now I'd be draining again.

I gave in and looked at the pool while the rain was just a drizzle and drained it down by an inch. I hate to lose water with good CYA and salt.

While the pool was draining I added 2 gallons of 12.5% LC.

I hate to lose water with good CYA and salt.
Preach. I just looked and I'm up an inch already with 2 full days of rain ahead. Good thing I didn't add any before.

100F and sunny here today. Pool water temp at 88F
Sooooooo to 'cold' to get in ??? :laughblue:

• Haha
Reactions: mknauss
When Alexa's timer expires, does she sound the alarm until you silence it?
So far - yes. The Alexa voice continues to repeat, "Your 30 minute pool timer is done." I don't know how long it will keep repeating it though.

So far - yes. The Alexa voice continues to repeat, "Your 30 minute pool timer is done." I don't know how long it will keep repeating it though.
  1. The timer then continues to ring until one of these two actions occurs:
    • The user says "Alexa, stop," or the equivalent.
    • 60 minutes passes without a response. The timer stops ringing.
Stop Timer Workflow:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.