TFTestkit finally in! Results posted, SLAM needed.

Started SLAM about 27 hours ago. So far so good with monitoring except over night. Tested mostly every 2 hours today with a 4 hour wait at one point. Idk if you need numbers for the question coming but I’ll go ahead and post
FC-12
Ph-7.5 this am (checked this am with FC of 5.5, added borax yesterday)
Added 20ppm of CYA via sock method infront of return as suggested by another user with the assumption it would raise it to 30ppm.

So the question, I have to work a 16 hour shift tomorrow. 7a-11pm. Plan is to wake up early am and brush pool. Test FC add LC as needed. Now I know I can’t afford to wait 16 hours between testing/adding LC especially this early in the game, my mother has stated she can come over around 11 and again around 3:30 to add chlorine. I lose the most amount of chlorine between 12-4 when pool is in direct sunlight. This am I lost about 2ppm between 8-11 but about 6 between 11-3 and back to around 3 after. Can I kind of work off those numbers to let her know how much LC to add? Is it terrible to overshoot and just count it as a “loss” (I think I read somewhere you lose it quicker by adding more) I mean if nothing else it should keep algae from growing for the day maybe not just kill what I already have. Thoughts? Thanks for your time!

You can 'guesstimate' the amount of chlorine for your mom to add. Try to make it so she adds a half a jug, or a full jug. No measuring.

If you over shoot a bit, no biggie. And as long as your FC is above minimum for your CYA, you are killing algae.

Why did you add borax? Your pH is best to be at 7.2 at the start of a SLAM,.

I see I suggested 1 lb of borax, that should not have raised your pH to 7.5. Is that what you added?

You can 'guesstimate' the amount of chlorine for your mom to add. Try to make it so she adds a half a jug, or a full jug. No measuring.

If you over shoot a bit, no biggie. And as long as your FC is above minimum for your CYA, you are killing algae.

Why did you add borax? Your pH is best to be at 7.2 at the start of a SLAM,.

Before slam it was 6.8, it was suggested to add 1lb borax. I have some Muriatic Acid I can add if you think it is needed??

Before slam it was 6.8, it was suggested to add 1lb borax. I have some Muriatic Acid I can add if you think it is needed??
I know now about the borax. But that amount should have no way raised your pH that much.
Leave it now. No need to yoyo pH.

Just an update and some pictures of my “swamp” things are coming along fine I suspect. I know looking at pictures the 3rd May look worse than the second but when I woke up this am and checked the pool my first thought was “wow looks so much better than yesterday” so this may be a time that pictures are misleading lol.
FC this am was 14 which I suppose could be suspected considering my mom has just been “winging” it the last two days for my 16 hr shifts. She was able to come over 3 times each day to at least add LC so it didn’t sit all day with nothing. Performed CYA this am, it’s between 30-40 so I’m rounding up and will keep my FC to that level now. Added it Tuesday, when can I backwash? I’ve seen different things just by reading backlogs of this thread. My psi isn’t high as of this am also read about dirty sand filters being more helpful just looking for guidance. Thanks again for all the help and patience!

Today and tomorrow I’m off work, will be able to test/brush more frequently. Will put the leaf eater in today, I’ve been blindly scooping every time I’ve gone out there, no longer getting net fulls of debris. Then vacuum.

Attachments

• AB456116-97F3-4C16-925D-702ECF8CF84B.jpeg
    AB456116-97F3-4C16-925D-702ECF8CF84B.jpeg
    629.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 87571123-CABE-4610-8806-18E373423F72.jpeg
    87571123-CABE-4610-8806-18E373423F72.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 6F6B8398-9621-4252-87F7-9977BE4BCEB5.jpeg
    6F6B8398-9621-4252-87F7-9977BE4BCEB5.jpeg
    541.7 KB · Views: 22

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Skimming bottom with leaf rake yields almost zero results, using the leaf eater on the other hand....WOW. Still getting debris off floor! Whew, I’m tired ?

As of this morning. Making progress!

Attachments

• 03697021-E453-46C1-B0D9-F9756E8E9E0B.jpeg
    03697021-E453-46C1-B0D9-F9756E8E9E0B.jpeg
    536.5 KB · Views: 16
Sorry for the late replies.

I removed as much organic debris as possible (couldn’t see) with a leaf net until I was no longer scooping up more than a few leaves/pine straw. I have gone in with a leaf eater a few times only to get much more. I’m sure there Is still plenty in there. I’ve had one day off this week in which I would test every 3-4 hours. I test am and pm when I work. My mother goes over in the middle of the day to add LC around 3. The last several days my FC has been holding over night for the most part. It will be 15 FC when I test in the am. CC ranges between .5 and 1 when I test it (don’t test every time) I’ve read through a lot of threads here and did see where someone who has the same pool as I do stated they would get algae in the “flaps” where the liner met. I assume that’s a huge possibility for me, unfortunately not much I can do for it until I hit that clear enough stage to go diving with a toothbrush ?

I’ll be off next week and can really buckle down on removing organic debris. I had decided to do the SLAM as opposed to drain and refill because I live on a hill and feared all the water would drain into my neighbors yard. I’m at a light mint green cloudy stage. I backwash when PSI rises. I’d be ok slamming for the rest of summer if I could just swim in it already ?

Just an update: Thursday afternoon to this afternoon. I’m hoping I’m on the tail end of things since I’m only having to add LC once a day in the afternoon, a little more than half a gallon of 6%. Whew! Backwashing twice a day usually, when PSI rises. I’ll continue to vacuum, brush and maintain. Maybe I can sweet talk my filter and pump?

Thanks for all the help thus far! You guys rock.

Attachments

• 64975066-2D04-4224-ADF9-DA3F38DCBBA6.jpeg
    64975066-2D04-4224-ADF9-DA3F38DCBBA6.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 17
Had a heavy rain/wind the last two days. Still checked FC and added as needed, which hadn’t been a lot. Generally lost about 4 total in 24 hour period for a while. Today however, FC was 4 when I got home from 14 hour shift and CC 3. I’m blaming that on the organic debris that could have possibly (certainly) made it into the pool. Which I can can take care of tomorrow possibly, weather permitting. Is this assumption about the organic debris causing this totally off base?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.