TFPC for Beginners old comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronGo

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 8, 2011
Houston, Texas
Re: BBB for Beginners

I just bought a big tub of the chlorine bleach tablets/pucks at Sams for our new pool, which I will need to return now. Good info in this thread and throughout the forum.

carock

Jul 8, 2012

I am a first time pool owner and so glad I found your site! I am implementing your BBB recommendations and will let you know...I have been pool-stored to death! :shock:

cody21

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA

Ditto ... we just got our 1st taste of Leslie's Pools and got ripped $195 to replace a 16x36 solar cover (blue bubble wrap stuff). When we unfoiled the one that the previous owner had it started falling apart in the pool - so we were sort of in an emergency situation. Will do a better job of planning and price comparison the next time. But pool stores are now on notice with me. :)

umbutu

Sep 23, 2012
Re: BBB for Beginners - Ph and TA

I am new pool owner, 25K gal, Pentair variable sp pump, SWG, Aqualogic, pentair clean&clear cartridge filter. Converted to BBB this spring, have had very successful summer testing and maintaining pool, water crystal clear all summer and still so. Salt= 2900, CYA= 80, FC= 4.5, TA= 80, borates= 50, all holding steady all summer. Ph creeping upward, now at 7.7, when reach 7.8 will add acid to lower to 7.5.
Here's my question:
TA is at 80, where I want it to be, now. When I add acid to lower Ph, will also lower TA. What do I do to bring TA back up to 80 without bringing Ph up.

Thanks for your very helpful site.

G

New pool getting built in June with a SWG.

So what do I need to do when its done? Start using BBB? Or?

linen

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Shaf77 said:
If it is vinyl or fiberglass start right away using the methods taught on this site. If it is plaster, check with your builder to see who is responsible and what type of start-up will be used.

G

linen said:
Shaf77 said:
If it is vinyl or fiberglass start right away using the methods taught on this site. If it is plaster, check with your builder to see who is responsible and what type of start-up will be used.
It will be a vinyl pool.. Still figuring out design and where to have it on a 50'x240' lot.. Closer to the house or at the back?

linen

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2010
Twin Cities, MN

Shaf77 said:
It will be a vinyl pool.. Still figuring out design and where to have it on a 50'x240' lot.. Closer to the house or at the back?
I responded in your build thread.

DanielP

Apr 17, 2013
North OKC Area

I would like to request that "The Pool Calculator" have a small change for those of us that use the webpage on our mobile phones. If you change all <input type="text"> to <input type="number">, the default keyboard page on our phones will show us the numbers first instead of letters.

The change is supposed to be backwards compatible with browsers that do not support HTML5 and it will default back to text. On Opera, Safari, and Chrome it adds up/down arrows to the right of the field which may change cell widths, however I'm sure jQuery could be used to detect the browser and only change the input type if it is a mobile device.

linen

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2010
Twin Cities, MN

Unfortunately, JasonLion the creator of the pool calculator, no longer controls the rights/ability to change the webpage. Have you tried one of the apps? 2 for android: simple pool, pool pal (I think) and one for ios: pool-calculator

bigbadwullf

Jul 29, 2013

Sodium Bicarbonate(Baking Soda, etc). I get mine at a local Co-op type place. Actually an animal feed store. $17 for 50 lb!! Can't beat that.

Darko5500

Aug 12, 2013
Sydney AUS

"Dry acid is easier to work with than muriatic acid but costs more and should not be used with a SWG."

This was under the pH heading on the initial post.

chem geek

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
San Rafael, CA USA

If you use a lot of dry acid, then sulfates can build up in the pool and at high levels (300 ppm) they can be harmful to plaster (see this thread). Some saltwater chlorine generator manufacturers say to avoid using dry acid, though their claim of calcium sulfate formation is questionable. Calcium sulfate scale would take quite extraordinary levels of both and it is not pH dependent the way that calcium carbonate and calcium phosphate scale are. It's possible that there is some other factor of sulfates on the special coatings on SWG plates, but that is just speculation.

altusfirst

Nov 19, 2013
San Diego, CA

About how much gallons of chlorine should I expect to use in a 20,000 gallon well maintained pool??

Just trying to think about the expense monthly. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.