TFP Expert Discussion - Pumps, Filters, Heaters

Awesome job guys, and thank you for answering my question on any sort of maintenance I should be doing on my VS pump.

I have the same question on my heater (natural gas). Is there anything I should be doing maintenance wise to ensure I get the full life out of my heater, or any type of heater?

I have the same question on my heater (natural gas). Is there anything I should be doing maintenance wise to ensure I get the full life out of my heater, or any type of heater?
Sorry I did not get that part of your question! @ajw22 can reply -- but from me; depending on your area make sure there are no leaves in the vent/air source, check for spiders in the venturis, and rats/mice in the unit.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Awesome job guys, and thank you for answering my question on any sort of maintenance I should be doing on my VS pump.

Run your heater regularly to burn off moisture that would create corrosion. And it keeps critters from getting comfortable nesting in it.

Open up the heater a few times a year and clean it out. Keep spiders, snakes, rodents from getting into the heater.

Corrosion and critters are what kills heaters.

Heaters are idle and ignored for too long in places like Texas. And then when you go to use the heater it doesn’t turn on.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Since I only use my heater for spa heating, I find that keeping a heater cover on it when not in use, works wonders to keep debris, dirt etc., from finding it's way inside the heater.
It's really not all that much of a hassle to remove the cover before using the spa and then just wait several hours after heater shutdown before replacing it.
r.

Last edited:
Don't get me started on Comcast support war stories... I got 20 yrs worth of them...

I remember being the first guy on my block with a 1.44K baud v.32bis modem... Oh baby yeah!

SCREEEEEEEECH-POP-ReeeeYANG...tug tug tug...WHIRRRRR-hisssssss
matthew broderick professor falken GIF
Sprint gave us a BRI for home so I had a 56K ( maybe 64 can't remember ) data side and the other channel was used for voice..All my friends were jealous

Typical comcast call
My modem is on fire and I can't put it out..And the pole outside is also buring
OK can you reboot your PC?

Sprint gave us a BRI for home so I had a 56K ( maybe 64 can't remember ) data side and the other channel was used for voice..All my friends were jealous
My favorite gizmo from that era was a 56K set top modem that also logged into my AOL account and shared the connection across my WFW network. Its in a box somewhere to be displayed in my tech museum next to my ole KayPro luggable.

Reactions: markayash
I worked with a guy who told me several of his 5" floppy disk stories..
One teacher kept loosing her data, after a while she said she takes it home and puts it on her fridge with a magnet
Best one was the one that couldn't read the disk and would jam, he was looking and turned around and she had a disk in her type writer "adding a label"

Reactions: zea3 and mguzzy
Run your heater regularly to burn off moisture that would create corrosion. And it keeps critters from getting comfortable nesting in it.

Open up the heater a few times a year and clean it out. Keep spiders, snakes, rodents from getting into the heater.

Corrosion and critters are what kills heaters.

Heaters are idle and ignored for too long in places like Texas. And then when you go to use the heater it doesn’t turn on.
Funny I read this and tried to put my heat for the first time in a while and of coarse it lits and goes out :)
Have to open it up and clean it. Spiders seem worse this year, maybe munching on all the extra Mosquitoes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since I only use my heater for spa heating, I find that keeping a heater cover on it when not in use, works wonders to keep debris, dirt etc.,
I moved into a house with central AC and knew nothing about it. I had my HVAC Buddy come to walk me through it all and he said to only cover the top of the AC unit (in this case for the winter) so that any moisture that got in could breathe. I imagine the same would go for the heat pump that you want to stop anything falling in but still want good airflow for the rest of it.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.