TFP - Current Chem levels?

Well what do you think about them? ... teach a man to fish and all that :D

You should really fill out your signature with pool info. I do not know if you have a SWG or not which would impact my answer. ;)

Hi there Rich :)

You don't mention how you chlorinate your pool? Here is our guide for matching up your CYA to your FC: [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

I would also suggest raising your CH (because your plaster walls need calcium in the water) to 300 ppm.

Your pH is fine... our suggested range is 7.2-7.8

TA looks fine

Hows the water look?

Yip :flower:

Hi,

I updated my signature page (but dont see it here). I use bleach for chlorine & a stenner pump to dispense it. Following the pool math with a 40k pool it says i need 1540oz of calcium chloride (almost 100 pounds) - is that correct?

The water looks clear but its 58 degrees so I havent been in the pool yet (hot tub yes).

Thanks,
Rich

CH is too low. You might start leaching it out of the plaster. Repeat that test, and run it until it turns sky blue -- not indigo, not just changes color, all the way to sky blue. If it still says low, add some Calcium or switch to Cal Hypo to chlorinate for a while.

CH is too low. You might start leaching it out of the plaster. Repeat that test, and run it until it turns sky blue -- not indigo, not just changes color, all the way to sky blue. If it still says low, add some Calcium or switch to Cal Hypo to chlorinate for a while.

Hi

I tested the CH today and it's still about 100 to 125. I have a small bag of Cal hypo shock. I will plan to dump that into the pool but it seems that I'm going to need more than the half a pound bag that I have.

What what sort of calcium can I use? I assume not the rock salt that you use on a driveway?

Is there some sort of chlorine is bleach alternative to calcium?

Thanks

Rich

Hi

I tested the CH today and it's still about 100 to 125. I have a small bag of Cal hypo shock. I will plan to dump that into the pool but it seems that I'm going to need more than the half a pound bag that I have.

What what sort of calcium can I use? I assume not the rock salt that you use on a driveway?

Is there some sort of chlorine is bleach alternative to calcium?

Thanks

Rich
Either a Calcium Increaser or Chlorinate with Cal-hypo for a while.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals talks about which chemical does what and how to add it.

It looks like (if your pool is really 40K gallons, which is huge) one pound of 73% Cal-hypo will raise FC by 2.2 and CH by 1.5 That will take you three or four months to add enough, so it doesn't look like a viable alternative.

Where you live, someone probably still has some de-icer for sale. You don't need the pool store stuff. Print out the relevant section from that article and start reading labels. Poolmath will help you calculate how much.

Either a Calcium Increaser or Chlorinate with Cal-hypo for a while.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals talks about which chemical does what and how to add it.

It looks like (if your pool is really 40K gallons, which is huge) one pound of 73% Cal-hypo will raise FC by 2.2 and CH by 1.5 That will take you three or four months to add enough, so it doesn't look like a viable alternative.

Where you live, someone probably still has some de-icer for sale. You don't need the pool store stuff. Print out the relevant section from that article and start reading labels. Poolmath will help you calculate how much.

Sorry to keep bugging you on this. I have two bags of ice melt that say they have Calcium Chloride:

http://scotwoodindustries.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Road_Runner_SDS_US_102114_FINAL.pdf (SWI Icemelt) - No idea what % is calcium Chloride

Dow Peladow:
https://www.amazon.com/Peladow-Calcium-Chloride-Pellets-Melter/dp/B00H4OWKEO
https://images.hillyard.com/IMAGES/MSDS/MSDSOSS601QT.pdf

The SDS sheet shows 91% calcium chloride but the only thing is while my bag logo & 'artwork' are identical, mine says DOW chemical & the newer bags seem to be made by a company called OXY. It looks like in 2011 they joined forces to form a new company. Why does this matter? I am guessing the bag I have is 5+ years old.

Any issues using this? Do I dump 50 pounds in at once or over the course of a few days?

Thanks,
Rich

Here is a pic with the pool. BBQ almost done! http://i.imgur.com/hsej8EH.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.