Lemonhead

Jun 3, 2020
Middletown NY-211
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The drop test for the fc and ph tester is meant for everyday use. Is their a way I can calculate to read higher fc levels. Meaning it only tests up to 5 for fc levels. With a cya at 40 or higher the Recommend levels of fc are higher than 5. This causes me to use the other test with the powder and swirling the other reagents everyday which can get expensive.

Expense is relative. Testing FC accurately and maintaining a proper chlorine level will avoid using more chlorine than necessary, and ward off an algae outbreak, which can be very expensive to correct compared to the FAS-DPD refills. Maintaining a pool properly requires a certain amount of expense. Don't be penny-wise dollar-foolish...

Besides, once you learn your pool and determine its "appetite" for chlorine, you'll be testing less often, even if you dose every day. I have an SWG, and once I get it tuned in for the season, my FC remains pretty stable. I only test once a week...

Last edited:
You should shop around. You should be able to find the items you need to replace individually for much less than having to purchase an entire new kit. I think the powder is available on amazon for $10 and a combo of the powder/reagent for $21. And it’s the big 2oz bottle.

Somewhere here I saw the accuracy of the drop test, per Taylor, and it was no longer reliable above 2 ppm. It basically is good solely to tell you that chlorine is in the pool, not how much. The accuracy by their own say so was terrible. Accurate to +/- .5 under 1, accurate to +/- 1 between 1-2 ppm and no longer accurate above 2 ppm. Like a liquid version of a test strip. Stong yellow was 5-10, strong orange was 10-15 and brown was over 15. (Or something thereabouts)

The drop test for the fc and ph tester is meant for everyday use. Is their a way I can calculate to read higher fc levels. Meaning it only tests up to 5 for fc levels. With a cya at 40 or higher the Recommend levels of fc are higher than 5. This causes me to use the other test with the powder and swirling the other reagents everyday which can get expensive.
With normal routine testing, the R-870 powder and R-871 drops should last you the whole season in your location. It is recommended to refresh the reagents each season (and they usually go on sale at TFTestkits.net). Once you get the pool dialed in, you can do the powder/drop test every other day and be able to predict the results and verify with testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.