Falmouth, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
I used the wrong calculation constant for calculating my FC the last 2 tests, I test about every other day (multiplied my drops by .2 instead of .5 so my FC was actually > X2 higher). I increased my SWG % accordingly and now have FC= 7 (I usually keep it b/w 3-4)/. My SWG (AquaRite) only decreases to 5%. Should I leave it there and recheck tomorrow or turn OFF? My other numbers are still WNL (TA down from 75 to 50 but am thinking it will correct itself when my CL is lower). Thank you for any recommendations.

I'd just turn it down and check it tomorrow. A little extra FC isn't going to hurt. I'd also consider keeping it at the higher end of the range, just to avoid any skirting of the minimums :)

How much water are you using in your sample?

What is your current CYA?

CYA= 60, initially used 10cc and the wrong calculation constant (.2 instead of .5). When I realized it, I rechecked using 25 cc, .2 calc factor.

You should find the 10 mL FAS-DPD Free Chlorine test sufficient for routine tests. That also conserves reagent usage. :wink:

The 10mL sample size where 1 drop = .5 FC should be sufficient for our testing purposes and it saves on reagents. The .2 resolution just isn't necessary.

7 FC is not high for 60 CYA. Most of us run a little "hot" anyway. Frankly, I'd probably leave it at 7 since that's the middle of the target range anyway. I would not run at 3 given that is the absolute minimum FC for your CYA level.

You should find the 10 mL FAS-DPD Free Chlorine test sufficient for routine tests. That also conserves reagent usage. :wink:
Thank you. I agree, which is why I normally use it, not sure why I inadvertently used the wrong calculation constant... need to pay better attention!
The 10mL sample size where 1 drop = .5 FC should be sufficient for our testing purposes and it saves on reagents. The .2 resolution just isn't necessary.

7 FC is not high for 60 CYA. Most of us run a little "hot" anyway. Frankly, I'd probably leave it at 7 since that's the middle of the target range anyway. I would not run at 3 given that is the absolute minimum FC for your CYA level.
Thank you. I do use the 10cc sample, just inadvertently multiplied by the wrong calc factor.

Fal,

With a CYA of 60 you should be running your FC between 4 and 9 ppm. An FC of 7 is spot on where you want to be.

You should NOT be running between 3 and 4... Unless of course your plan to invite algae over for a pool party.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.