Texas Semi closing

Jan 20, 2018
Joshua, TX
Good day folks I've searched around and found half answers to my situation but just looking for verification of my plan and any recommendations.

We have a lot of trees. Going to cover next week hopefully to counter the deluge of debris in the pool and also the spring buds in March. The water temp is at 60-61 and I know the swcg with shut down eventually. We will want to pull the cover back on the spa a few times over the winter.

My questions are about pump run time and expected liquid chlorine usage. With it being covered there won't be much fc loss correct? Adding necessary chems in the skimmer is the plan. I've read about adding polyquat. Not quite sure I understand if this is necessary in my situation.

So to make sure we understand .... you are going to cover the pool but not actually close it correct? Everything stays connected and operable? If that's the case, the following is based on that scenario:
1 - Once the water temp stays chilly (at/below 60), yes, FC consumption wild drop dramatically. You'll see the pattern of very slow FC dropping. An occasional addition of regular bleach is all that will be needed.
2 - Polyquat 60 is used by some (not all) pool owners who close and won't be monitoring their pool for some 4-5 months or so. In your case, by checking chem levels once in a while, I don't see it as a necessity.
3 - Pump run time with cold water and a cover will be very, very low. You might bump it on for an hour a day or every 2-3 days just to move things around or help stir the occasional chemical you may add. You might not even turn it on that much.
4 - I do want to pass along a couple concerns:
a. We generally do not advise adding chemicals to the skimmer. Some products are just a bit too harsh to dispense so close to the pump. Near the return jets is the ideal place to add chemicals if possible.
b. With a pool still operating to some degree, just like the spa you might have a plan to expose the pool (or some of it) to sunlight from time to time. If you are able to do so, it could help to oxidize and release the combined chlorines in the water.

Hope that helps.

Putting the cover on tomorrow. What exactly are these styrofoam cylinders for? I assume they would go beneath the cover but from what I've read that's only necessary in an above ground pool.

043e1508785dd6043fbef737166232d7054e7c942fc6249b0c50b17c2d111daf.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.